Easson PSU

LeChuck

Registered
Registered
Hi folks,

I received an Easson ES-12C DRO, purchased from M-DRO in the UK. It came with a PSU/transformer that works off of 220V. Seems that it uses a 0.5A-220V fuse inside. Has anyone had any trouble using these on our 240V mains in the US? The specs have a +-10% allowance but I just wanted to check. I would probably connect this to the 240V supply inside the lathe (a 1236T that I'm going to convert to VFD).

Thanks,
David

Should be fine David, the dro unit most likely has an internal voltage regulator
-Mark

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I figured that's the case. As long as the PSU itself can take it. The main unit uses 5V.

I believe it will also run off of 120 or 240VAC, another person that had the same thing and if I recall it also ran off of 120VAC. I have mine hardwired into my control boxes so it comes on with the lathe, so I would just chop the plug and run it across 240VAC. Typically I have a 15A breaker for ancillary components and run my DRO, power supplies, transformer and/or socket off of the breaker. Has more to do with what would happen if there was a short in the wiring and what it could instantly handle before a fuse or main breaker went.

Yeah, I will probably do that, cut the plug and run it on the breaker out of the VFD component box. Thanks!

I have outlets in the shop and in the house that are wired for European power. The EU standard is for double insulation, so two legs does it; neutral is not required. Certain (more complex) equipment may be particular about the center tapped ground, but the transformer you have will run just fine.

Hi folks,

I received an Easson ES-12C DRO, purchased from M-DRO in the UK. It came with a PSU/transformer that works off of 220V. Seems that it uses a 0.5A-220V fuse inside. Has anyone had any trouble using these on our 240V mains in the US? The specs have a +-10% allowance but I just wanted to check. I would probably connect this to the 240V supply inside the lathe (a 1236T that I'm going to convert to VFD).

Thanks,
David
240V instead of nominal 220V is fine. It will work on 120V but it is marginal, the input to the voltage regulator is barely enough for the voltage regulator to function properly. I know because I checked it...

Here is my install inside the VFD box that was built for me by Mark (mksj). The ES-12C power supply is in the lower right corner.

IMG_4179.jpg

I wanted a permanent placement so I removed the cover and got rid the 220V AC IEC connector and placed it inside the NEMA enclosure with the DC connector mounted to the bottom of the enclosure.

Everything is working very well, the Easson DRO from the UK was a great purchase. Thank you Mark for all your help!

Ariel

Thanks for the idea! I ended up mounting it inside the enclosure as well, as I've been working on my VFD conversion this weekend. Just removed the connector and reused the spades on there to connect new wires to the breaker.

Back