Easy Button Die Storage Solution

Beautiful, beautiful work. I am using teak (scraps) to do the same thing. Had to mill them down 'cause they are far too thick at over 1 inch, +1/4 or so. Be sure to oil the wood well before using for long term storage. The 1X4s I've used in the past rusted some of my dies. Not too bad, I caught it in time. The most impressive part is seeing independant thoughts combining wood and metal working together.

Cheers guys, they have been in there for years and the wood is has been thoroughly soaked with oil over time.

It was just an easy simple way for me to store them.

I made one the same way, well soaked in oil for all my whitworth dies.
I also routed the channels for the corresponding taps.
There was one major problem.
It makes them easier to steal.
Someone who I thought was a good friend stole the whole case so in one hit I lost every whitworth tap and die that day..
Grrrr, if thoughts could kill.........

Great idea about routing for the taps.....bloody awful though that some miserable bugger stole them off you!!!

Yeah, I should have guessed there was something wrong about him when just after we started building the gingery lathe he ordered two lathes direct from china without discussing it then wanted to sell me one at just under local cost. Greedy bastard.
Thankfully I hardly ever need whitworth threads these days

I was scratching my head this week about storage for button dies but came up with a different solution. I have multiples of some dies and I'm missing more UNF dies than I realized:

die storage.jpg

The ice cube trays were $1.25 (Canadian) at the local dollar store. The store had a few different styles of trays. In hindsight, I should have had different colours for coarse and fine threads.

I spent a few quality minutes with my label maker so I can pick out the desired die immediately. Details of the UNC tray:

IMG_3176.JPG

Craig

Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack!

All this talk about forstner and router bits has me wanting to show off my latest thrift store find. It's missing the 5/16-18 tap and the screwdriver but otherwise it's pretty impressive in machined poplar. Brand is ACE made in USA, probably carbon steel. Hoping my heirs will realize more than the $7 I paid...

Attachments

• _DSC7017.JPG
    _DSC7017.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC7015.JPG
    _DSC7015.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 18
Condiser using TREX the recycled Plasitc Stuff used for Decking.
It won't hold moisture and is just as easy to machine and available at any big box store.

Back