Easy fix for worn out Bridgeport (style) spindle brake shoes

chrislb

Registered
Registered
Was doing a quick maintenance job on the J-Head today ... it needed a new belt and the spindle brake just wouldn't brake (I guess the previous owner had 'ridden' it), but I couldn't afford a long down-time waiting for (expensive) brake shoes to arrive.

I was doing what I do best (standing over it and pondering) when I came up with a really nifty way of getting a few more years out of those old brake shoes....

I made a 1/2" bushing, drilled to be a close fit on the brake pivot screw that is opposite of the brake shaft. It pushes the 'hinged' side of the brake shoes out far enough that the brake lever now only has about 25 degrees of movement before the brake engages, rather than just freely flopping around as it did before.

A 20-minute, 10 cent fix ... I like it...

Now, just a $9 belt from ebay and I'll be back in action!!

When I get all the crud cleaned off the top housing and get the brake shoes back in there for good, I'll post some pics.

I would be interested in those pictures. Thanks in advance.
Larry

My Hardinge HLVH just uses cork as a brake. Would that work for brake shoes on the mill?

My Hardinge HLVH just uses cork as a brake. Would that work for brake shoes on the mill?

Im not sure that cork would be rigid enough to machine the entire brake shoe from, but it may be possible to line the existing shoes with it .... I believe the original shoes are made from a phenolic material.

Does anyone else have further insight on this topic ?

When I needed to replace the brake pads on my 1954 Gorton 9J mill I just cut the proper shape out of a new automotive disc brake pad and fitted them to the mill.
Worked perfectly and a low cost solution for an unavailable part.

Not sure if the B'port brake system is similar to the Gorton system however.

When I needed to replace the brake pads on my 1954 Gorton 9J mill I just cut the proper shape out of a new automotive disc brake pad and fitted them to the mill.
Worked perfectly and a low cost solution for an unavailable part.

Not sure if the B'port brake system is similar to the Gorton system however.

Do you use non asbestos pads? If not how do you machine it, precautions do you use. I had a project years ago where I drill asbestos to make brake linings for some sort of machine used in production. A couple of us did different tasks to complete these things. I drill them under a slow stream of coolant to wash away the shavings. Then all that coolant was drain after the job was completed.

Thanks,

Do you use non asbestos pads? If not how do you machine it, precautions do you use. I had a project years ago where I drill asbestos to make brake linings for some sort of machine used in production. A couple of us did different tasks to complete these things. I drill them under a slow stream of coolant to wash away the shavings. Then all that coolant was drain after the job was completed.

Thanks,

I didn't use any special precautions and since I only made the two pads and since I won't likely need to do it again in my lifetime I figured I was safe enough.
I imagine you'd be exposed to more asbestos just changing the pads on your car than you would be making a set of pads for your mill.

By all means wear a good respirator and cut it wet though to minimize any risk.

I though the brake shoes on the Gortons were cast iron? Never had to replace them, but they sure looked like cast iron to me.

The brake shoe on my 645 Index mill is yellow brass. So far it's holding up.

There are places that re-band brake shoes. You may be able to have is done locally. Today they use an adhesive shoes and not so many rivets. I think many may have material that is free from asbestos now.

Paul

I though the brake shoes on the Gortons were cast iron? Never had to replace them, but they sure looked like cast iron to me.

The brake shoe on my 645 Index mill is yellow brass. So far it's holding up.

Mine were made just like disc brake pads with friction material bonded to a metal backing plate.
There are two of them operated by a screw with both LH and RH ACME threads and the pads clamp down on the top and bottom faces of the spindle pulley.
I know the earlier Gorton's had a different brake system but both of my 1950's models have a system as I described.

Back