Easy simple threading

Ive seen this done with rigid die thread chasers . The rectangular blocks with bsp tapered thread. You are basically single pointing with a multiple cutter that is tapered.

Ile time is actually 9:00. 11:16 the the length of the video.

Thanks for catching that, RJ. I corrected my other post.

Using a straight tap, the thread form will be wrong. The flanks of the thread won't be equal with the longer flank towards the headstock. The angle between the flanks will be 60º but they will be rotated by the taper angle, around 1.8º. In searching. I couldn't find any tapered thread with 24 TPI. It is possible that he cut the female thread in the same way and the threads would mate properly. It is also possible that this is just a "made for t.v." video.

Okay, you lost me there unless you're talking about tapered pipe threads, then it makes sense. But, the guy in the OP's video wasn't cutting a pipe thread. He was using a standard 3/8"-24 UNF tap. If you aren't talking about tapered threads, please expound. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks for catching that, RJ. I corrected my other post.

Okay, you lost me there unless you're talking about tapered pipe threads, then it makes sense. But, the guy in the OP's video wasn't cutting a pipe thread. He was using a standard 3/8"-24 UNF tap. If you aren't talking about tapered threads, please expound. Thanks.

Tom
Yes, I was talking tapered threads. I had assumed that the operator was cutting a tapered thread from some of the discussion above. Unfortunately I couldn't understand the operator not read the subtitles. From the point starting at 7:17, it also appears to be a tapered thread as he is using a wrench to continue. Either that or it's not a very good quality thread.

If he is cutting straight threads, I see no advantage over single point threading.

RJ I also took it as taper threading. The advantage I see is that if you have to MAKE a single point threading tool then you don't have to because it is already made for you. I must say the discussion around this is going longer than I expected.

Back