Easy simple threading

Cool idea but a little scary as you have to back out with the carriage still moving or the thread is instantly wiped out. I think I would risk it on a tapered thread but single point the rest.

You can cut a tapered thread.
I havent had the need to yet but I guess I dont understand the question! Wouldn't you still need to lock in the split-nuts with the lead set to the correct pitch to use this method just like you would with a single point? And if you set the needed taper into your lathe setup wouldnt that be the exact same thing with the exception of the tap having multiple follow up skim cuts?

Ahh! Ok now i see it, the tap itself is tapered, which cuts the mirror image when used to cut this way, correct?

Last edited:
I havent had the need to yet but I guess I dont understand the question! Wouldn't you still need to lock in the split-nuts with the lead set to the correct pitch to use this method just like you would with a single point? And if you set the needed taper into your lathe setup wouldnt that be the exact same thing with the exception of the tap having multiple follow up skim cuts?

Ahh! Ok now i see it, the tap itself is tapered, which cuts the mirror image when used to cut this way, correct?
Yes

I basically posted this just to show that there is a lot of methods doing the same thing. I do wonder, is that a left hand thread tap? If you look at the cutting edge side he used.

I basically posted this just to show that there is a lot of methods doing the same thing. I do wonder, is that a left hand thread tap? If you look at the cutting edge side he used.
I wondered that as well but looking at the grind on the flutes, it appears not. (around 10:20 in). Also, the tap threads look like r.h.

Looks like a right hand thread to me. Lathe is going counter clockwise and the thread is climbing towards the headstock. I don't think there's any hocus pocus going on with the tap because it's not turning so it just a form tool in this application. I think a left hand tap would reverse the lead angle. That said, I freely admit I'm freaking OLD!

I've done this many a time for fine internal threads. I used a 3/8-24 tap to thread the inside of a 1-3/8" suppressor tube. It only took 3 passes.

Back