Easy splinter removal. Best tool for the job.

I keep a disposable razor in the tool box, if the splinter can be felt just run the razor over it. The blade snags it & pulls it out (most of the time). but i think I will buy the tweezers above.

fixit

Anyone ever thought of using gloves? "An ounce of prevention", lol. In all seriousness, what about latex or nitrile gloves, do any of you use something like that; is there a safe way to do so? Just a new guy by the way, and I will order a set of the tweezers for the record. Cheers.
Ok, please do not use normal gloves. Think safety. Look at some of the stuff posted about gloves. Do a search for gloves. We do not want to hear about another accident.

Due to skin condition and the fact the skin breaks open and bleeds, I use the thin blue ones like they use in Doctors offices, but have found they do not always stop the small splinters.
I got one the other day that drove me nuts, Could not see it, did the sand paper, did the running a knife back and forth a crossed the area, even pulled out the lighted magnifiers. Finally just worked out. Never did see it.

I am all about safety, absolutely. That was why I asked the question....... I have used the blue nitrile gloves when cleaning up etc., but I do not use gloves around any operating machines. If the lathe or mill are in use it's short sleeves and bare hands. Thanks for the advice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the honest- to- goodness advertising:
Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper has never met a splinter it couldn't handle or a Tick that it could not remove.

+1 for Uncle Bill's. I have them all over the house.

Elmers glue.:eek 2::idea: Works on wood splinters and some steel ones. Put it on, let it dry completely and peel it off. Doesn't always get them but lossa times it does.:applause:

I have the little point set from a drafting tool the tips tapered and flat on the bottom. With a quick rotation of the tiny knurled closer they get a good hold and they the smallest tips I've ever had for splinters.

I find the best tool for splinter removal is a 10X jeweler's loop. It makes even the smallest sliver look like a broom handle. I have an assortment of needles and tweezers that are very effiective but I can't grab what I can't see.

Anyone ever thought of using gloves? "An ounce of prevention", lol. In all seriousness, what about latex or nitrile gloves, do any of you use something like that; is there a safe way to do so? Just a new guy by the way, and I will order a set of the tweezers for the record. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember, a fundamental shop safety rule, no gloves, long sleeves, or loose clothing, around any spinning or moving tool. Many have suggested that even rubber gloves can be dangerous.

Guys, I'd like to offer some advice as a die hard splinter magnet and as a retired medical professional who has extracted numerous splinters over the years.
  • If you can't see it, it's mighty hard to pull it. And holding a magnifier with one hand while also pulling the splinter with the other hand is hard to do when the splinter is in one of those hands. Best thing is something that goes on your head and holds the lens in place, like an Optivisor with an optional loupe (see Alan H.'s recent thread on this).
  • As usual, use the least destructive stuff first. Quite often, adhesive tape is enough to get small, shallow splinters out. Duct tape is pretty good for this, as is Scotch Tape.
  • You need a set of precision tweezers to grab it if the tape fails. Before doing this, wash your hands. Yeah, I know its a hassle but it will cut down on infections. Before you need them, buy a precision tweezers. I use and recommend a set from Anmuth Medical: http://www.tweezersplus.com/first-aid/splinter-removal-kit/. If you can see it clearly and grab it with the tweezers then that's all you need. All too often, the splinter will be buried and you'll have to go in after it. Please don't use a knife; use the "splinter liberator" to gently open the hole. This thing is not really sharp; it simply allows you to spread the tissue apart just enough to expose the end of the splinter so you can grab the damned thing. Doing it this way is far better than using your wife's sewing needle, trust me. Yeah, you've done it and I bet you've pushed the splinter in deeper with it, too!
  • Once you've gotten that thing out, use soap and water to wash and irrigate the hole. Quite often, the splinter can go really deep and you can't get soap and water all the way down. In that case, I usually saturate the wound with Betadine.
  • I know "real men don't need no stinking band aids" but you should dress it for at least the first day or so. I usually use an antibiotic ointment before putting a band aid on it, then watch it carefully for infection. I've seen more than one finger amputated on a diabetic with an infected splinter hole.
Splinters and cuts are a fact of life in the hobby shop but I think the other medical professionals on this forum will agree that the sooner you clean and dress a wound the faster you'll heal, and the chances of a significant infection are greatly reduced. By "sooner", I mean inside the first few minutes after you feel that splinter. You can use Betadine and Alcohol to clean but soap and water are nearly as good and the wound may heal faster with plain old soap and water. Slap a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment from the drugstore on it, dress it with a band aid and watch it carefully until the wound closes over and you should be fine.

Back