Easy Tramming Tool

I made due with two 2" long 7/16" carriage bolts and one 2" long 3/8 bolt, and a 12" long 1/2" square stock. I drilled and tapped for a 7/16" bolt one inch in from each end of the square stock( at the 1 and 11 inch marks).

I like this idea but if you drill a 7/16 hole in a 1/2 square , the wall will be a mere 1/32 think if the hole are straight or the drill is not over sized

One idea I picked up somewhere was to purchase a disc brake rotor, the cheapest available. One doesn't have to worry about the indicator legs bumping into the t-slots. The surfaces are ground parallel.

Could be a market for DTI's with a face on both sides, kind of hard getting behind the machine with those (damn) tram tools for the counter view.

KevinD

I made one of these a couple days ago after seeing this thread, it works really well. It's truly amazing how much simpler it is to tram a mill in than just a DTI in one of those crappy, slippy over-the-quill holders. Thanks to iron man for giving me the inspiration to make it!

I made one of these a couple days ago after seeing this thread, it works really well. It's truly amazing how much simpler it is to tram a mill in than just a DTI in one of those crappy, slippy over-the-quill holders. Thanks to iron man for giving me the inspiration to make it!

I agree I use to hate tramming my mill now it is very simple. Ray

I made one. I was inspired by the professional tools and the ones made by hobbyists. A little different but just an iteration of others work. It works great. I found my PM932 to be very square on x and Y ~.0005.

1" square Al bar 12" long, 3/8-16 bolt, 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and Harbor Freight dial indicators. Less than $40, I made a 3D cad model and used the DRO for the holes. Used the power down feed and the depth stop. Everything went well. Still did not figure out how to power tap.

This unit is designed to use as long a distance between the readouts as possible and a set of holes for the vice tramming too.

Attachments

• 20191126_194535.jpg
    20191126_194535.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 85
Back