EBay ac servo cnc kits for zx45 mill

Mwmx54

Registered
Registered
I’m sure this has been asked before, otherwise they wouldn’t be scattered all over eBay, somebodies gotta be buying them. But I haven’t been able to find a single review from anyone who has used these. A little back story about me though, I have a zx45 from Bolton tools that I’ve been using manual for several years now, and I want to convert to cnc, I’ve read several of the build threads, and have a very general idea of what to do, but I am a complete newbie in this area, aside from messing with 3d printing and fusion 360, I know very little else.
So my question is, would this kit be worth while, or are their better options out there? Here is the link to eBay. I like that it comes as a kit, meaning it is hopefully most of what I will need, and the components will work together. But again, I don’t know much about this. Yet.

https://ebay.us/irucNr

Those are just the stepper motors and associated electronics. It appears to be for 220 v 3 phase from the pictures provided.
You will need to fabricate mounts for the steppers, couplers for the leadscrews, and maybe even change the leadscrews. Then you need a computer with Mach3 or Linuxcnc. They show a power supply in the pictures but don't include it in the shipping list. They also reference a USB flash drive and usb cable but no information about what they are for. It looks like you will get necessary but not sufficient components to CNC your machine.

Thanks for the reply, and i do understand that with converting to cnc, I will also need(it’s atleast very highly recommended) to convert to ball screws, as well as build all the mounts for the new double ball nuts, and motor mounts, I am somewhat proficient in the mechanical part of the conversion, it’s the electronics that go over my head. I would of course like to run everything on 220 single phase, but I can hook up a VFD if needed, it’s in the plans either way so I can run a variable speed motor and convert to belt drive. I’m really just hoping someone will say they will work fine(unlikely) or they’re garbage, use these (blank) motors, with these drives and this (blank) power supply. I can read all the write ups I can find, but finding one recent enough to still be able to buy anything that they used, because the product is outdated, is not easily done. My understanding is steppers can work, but not recommended due to losing steps, closed loop hybrid steppers are next best, as they can monitor where they are with encoders, and servos are the best, and easiest to wire up, but how much easier, how much more costly, where can I go to buy them or compare them. I really just have no idea, not for a lack of trying, It’s just such a foreign language for me that I have a really hard time comprehending what I am reading, let alone being able to memorize specs that I don’t understand to compare them, like why are servo motor n/m or oz/in ratings so much lower than stepper ratings? And can I use a lower rated servo in place of the 1000oz/in ish steeper that I think I need.

For drives and servos, take a look at DMM

They have a stepper input - servo out with feedback. Jim Dawson turned me on to this company. We both have good results - and great customer support. You won't get any help from that ebay offer

edit you want the dyn4 - AC input.

Last edited:
For drives and servos, take a look at DMM

They have a stepper input - servo out with feedback. Jim Dawson turned me on to this company. We both have good results - and great customer support. You won't get any help from that ebay offer

edit you want the dyn4 - AC input.

What does having a mix of the two do? From my understanding the issues of a servo is, high speed(can be geared down) and difficult to tune. As of this minute, I read a lot last night, I am leaning towards closed loop steppers.It seems to be the easiest for beginners. Maybe even just normal steppers. The servo route sounded good because I though it was more of a plug and play, less wiring less tinkering, but turns out that may not be the case.

Back