EBAY pullled a fast one.

How can this work? eBay doesn't sell anything it is only a medium for independent sellers. So, If I had something listed on eBay for a $1000 and someone used a 20% off coupon do I only get $800 or does eBay kick in the $200... uh, either way, I don't think so. Sounds fishy to me.

I've been getting these coupons too but I was under the impression they were only valid on certain item categories. None that I'm interested in.

It's kinda black magic, I purchased some igaging dro, 6", 12" and 24" price 129.00 with 15% off 109.65. I'm not sure how that works though. It maybe with specific sellers and I just picked the right one... I've seen the ones that are only specific categories, this email mentioned site wide sale... I think it's the first time I got to use one, I usually miss the time window.

How can this work? eBay doesn't sell anything it is only a medium for independent sellers. So, If I had something listed on eBay for a $1000 and someone used a 20% off coupon do I only get $800 or does eBay kick in the $200... uh, either way, I don't think so. Sounds fishy to me.
Hi Eddyde,
i thought it may be some kinda trick too, but let me tell you, the coupon was legitimate.
here is the order details from my transaction last night, (edited for content)

Shipping address

m. walton

Tracy CA 95377
United States
Order total
Subtotal$185.94
ShippingFree
Total coupon amount-$31.39
Total
$154.55

i purchased a Nikon 13.2mp camera with wifi.

the best thing i can imagine is that the seller gets some fees waived from ebay or paypal, to offset the discount.

the coupon did state...
20% off your purchase of $25.00 or more, up to $50.00 off.

I have the app, sometimes as a user of the app I get something like this and only a few hours to use it

I got that email and mine specifically stated that it was a 2o% off coupon IF THE APP WAS USED FOR THE PURCHASE.
So they are trying to get app use going.
I didn't get a chance to use my coupon.

It is strange, I've been active on eBay almost since its beginning, PayPal when it started, I have the app, and have hundreds of transactions as a buyer and seller. I have never gotten any coupons? If the coupons are for specific groups of participating sellers it makes sense but Site wide? I have never been asked by eBay to discount anything I've sold.

It is strange, I've been active on eBay almost since its beginning, PayPal when it started, I have the app, and have hundreds of transactions as a buyer and seller. I have never gotten any coupons? If the coupons are for specific groups of participating sellers it makes sense but Site wide? I have never been asked by eBay to discount anything I've sold.

I think you have the answer for why you don't receive those coupons In your reply!
It seems as most if not all company's are more willing to lower their profit margins to attract New or previous customers who have the potential to spend more cash with them then they are in order to show Old Dedicated customer's how much they appreciate them! I guess it could also been put this way, " They Are IN FACT showing older dedicated customers just how much they actually appreciate their business in How they tend to take advantage of their loyalty!" Just look how all the "Discounted products" are advertised. Pay attention to the ad and you will most likely read, "Offer applies to New Customers Only" somewhere buried in the Fine Print! Anyway since you asked, that's my $0.02 contribution.

As to why you have never been asked to discount anything you sold statement; I Think the sellers themselves are not picking up the tab on the discounts. I think Ebay pays the discounted from their advertising funds or something of that nature but I could be wrong, have before, Will be again but those are my thoughts!

Last edited:
I think you have the answer for why you don't receive those coupons In your reply!

I have to agree there - I've been an ebay customer for just about 21 years - Certainly do not! see any coupons, etc on my phone app.

Last edited:
OK, anyone in the mood for P.P.P.?
A lot of the promotions that have been coming through for the holidays have been directed at using the APP for redemption.
I can only speak for Android devices here.
I have my main phone and several tablets running said OS. All have the eBay app running.
Most of the promos I've seen this season have been directed at the 'mobile' app.
The promo shows up, I look at it on my phone, and then later while relaxed I used my tablet to try to use it. - nogo.
Showed nothing, just a generic page. At this point the 'programmers' @eBay should be smart enough to pop up a notification
that states what the problem is. Nope, nada.
You (the user) already opened up the offer on another device - you (the user) figure it out. . .
Went back to the phone and there it is. At this point I get irritated at P.P.P. syndrome than in placing my order.
Fact is I can't see much on the phone without my _really_ good glasses. (did I mention that the tablets are 10"?)

So the 'cookie' is placed on the device on which you open the offer and there it stays.
More and more I'm seeing 'programming' aimed at one device. Like ya know users might have more than just a smart phone at their disposal for use.

Sorry, but overseas, it is more common to think in the 'one' device mode than to realize that state-side the user might have several devices at their disposal. </end rant>

EDIT: BTW, I have been on since the beginning, and I'm always getting promos.

and then after I had posted last night - this was on one of my tablets.
By the time I saw it, it was already midnight EST. I've seen these this season at least a half-a-dozen times. Haven't timed it right yet.
1514563383893.png

Back