Econemy Thread Wire's

Would using just 2 wires on one side work? Seems like it should be the same after figuring out what the dimension should be, if a sample thread was available it should just be a comparison type measurement. What say Ye?

I miss read your post I have a bit of a cold, yeah i've seen that mentioned before i can't remember when the up shoot was, I think by using wires on both sides your eliminating the need to account for any under size that may have been applied to the major diamitor to achive the desired fit, i.e. Your not mesuring the root or the od of the thread. Just the pitch diamitor.

Stuart

Would using just 2 wires on one side work? Seems like it should be the same after figuring out what the dimension should be, if a sample thread was available it should just be a comparison type measurement. What say Ye?

Doing so can risk an in-accurate reading. You have to know what the actual diameter of the blank is before cutting thread and the measurement over wires using three wires. Subtract the MOW from actual OD divide by two and add to the actual OD. Now you have your measurement you shoot for using one wire, or if you like two wires on one side of the thread.

what I teach my apprentices is to tape the wires on a small piece of cardboard then fold the cardboard in half so the wires intertwine into each other two from one side on the outsides of the single one from the other. then you can hold the cardboard with one hand and mic over the wires with the other. It takes some practice, you will get the hang of it. practice. it beats my first attempt when I dropped the wire into the chip pan full of chips never did find it. bill

PeeDee used to replace any wire you damaged or lost. I wonder if they still do that. Or if they are still even in business.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this old thread is how the wire size is determined, and why they come only in certain sizes. It's all based on the concept of hitting the flank of the thread at the pitch line, since what you are wanting to measure is the pitch diameter. I have a boxed set of about 30-40 I guess different sizes for Acme and Stub Acme threads that are all different from the wires for UN threads with the same pitch. It's the angle that makes all the difference. With as many different thread types out there as there are, it would take many, many different sizes of wires to have a truly complete set.

Good to see they are still around. Very good quality wires. Thanks Bill.

I just tried it again and it's a good link. It takes you to the home page and you click on Pee Dee thread wires at the top. You can have the cegar, I have more.

Yup guys, is working perfectly now, but when I tried it the first time it didn't either.

Back