Econemy Thread Wire's

I have a set of economy (CDCOtools.com) and PeeDee wires off eBay. In use, I stick the wires in a chuck of styrofoam or modeling clay so they are held together on one end. Big pain to fish dropped ones out of the swarf under the lathe.

Another option is screw thread mic's. I've got a 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3 (which will probably never get used). I can't imagine using the wires again. There are charts available giving common screw pitch diameters, so it's a matter of zero'ing out the mic, then cut until you hit the target. Naturally a lot more money tied up, but for me the mic is the go to tool over the wires. I picked up each my sets for under $60 each.

Bruce

upload_2017-5-4_16-45-7.png

30 odd years ago in machine technology school we were taught to clean threads, wipe the wires with light grease put em in place and squeeze the wires , keeps em in place, my threads got me a passing grade using this method. Pretty simple really. I have been using cheapo import wires for 30 plus years, no problems.

I'm with Bruce - sooo much easier and nicer to use a screw thread micrometer instead of wires. No calculations, just read the pitch diameter directly. AND no more searching for the dropped thread wire in the catch pan, under the lathe, somewhere in the shop or wherever else the thing might have gone. I agree that clay, tape and holders all work but you just cannot beat the thread mic for speed and ease of use.

Back