Eddystone 1917 .30-06 to .300 h&h

So does this mean that 98 Mauser in 8mm Mauser can be re-chambered into 375 H&H? I played with that idea for a bit but abandoned it due to cartridge dimensions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The short answer is yes, with a lot of work. During the day, the 98 Mauser actions were converted for all sorts of cartridges. Having said that, there are lots of Mauser Magnum actions that pop up for about $500 NOS. These are an easier start as the bolt face and magazine box are already sized to the Magnum.

If you want something simple in a single shot stalking rifle, consider a Mosin Nagant and the .375 Flanged Magnum. Runs about 200fps slower than the standard .375H&H but that is nothing. I have one and it's great. Used standard H&H dies and bullets. I added a Timney trigger and had the bolt handle moved back behind the rear bridge. That was capped and welded allowing a one piece Leupold base. Pretty slick and shoots great.

A few of the many big bore cartridges that standard length 98 Mausers are converted to include, .500 Jeffery, .495 A-Square, .550 Express, .416 Rigby and the .404 Jeffery to name a few. Remember, this was the "GO TO" action for many custom gun makers like Rigby. Even today the standard Mauser action is used by some big name custom maker such as Duane Wiebe.

As a point of clarification, let's keep in mind the pressures we are talking about. The 8x57 Mauser cartridge has a CIP value of 3900, the .30-06 is 4020. The .300 H&H weighs in at 3723 and the .375 H&H at 4300. The .416 Rigby is 3250 with the .500 Jeffery at 3300 and the .505 Gibbs at a mere 2700. Over pressuring a well made and sound action is not an issue. If the CIP values in BARs throw you, multiply by 14.5038 to get PSI.

Now, move to the OP's Enfield action and build whatever will fit. They are almost indestructible with modern loaded ammunition. Quite probably the strongest of any of the military actions with the possible exception of the early Arisaka.

Well still no pictures. I was delayed by NICS. Hopefully I can get some up soon.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Still no gun in hand but I did pick a stock. Hoping it is in workable condition... certainly added some new elements to this build.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Perfect stock (left hand)
Like it!!!

Looks like you may be able to pull some figure out of the wood as well. Decent price for sure.

I got the hots to do a .300 with my P17, bought a P14 bolt and magazine box, and decided I'd prefer a different barrel while I was at it... and since the '06 barrel was perfect, I decided to use it up first. Still working on that... but I took to telling people it was an exotic wildcat called ".300 Whelen", made by necking down .35 Whelen brass to .30 caliber...

Back