Edge Pro Tram

This is true ... but you can also choke up on the arm of a single indicator holder and be just as accurate, but much slower. Like John, I've gone back to my Starrett back button indicator; I trust it more and it skips right over slots.
That is the advantage of the single arm. But the response was in reference to an Edge Pro style DIY spindle square.

Guys I think I am going to give it a try and just make one but use mikeys ideal of longer beam.I just making this to work on my mill so maybe 8".But first thing is to get it as close as possible with the ole back plunger and sweep it.Since it move on me the other day,dang these projects are stacking up.

Here is one I made out of scrap I had laying around.

1567955109650.png

It has 2 threaded holes for the spindle shaft. As shown in the pic, it's set up to tram the Y axis (2-1/2" radius/5" sweep to fit my mill's table). The hole near the end is where the shaft goes to tram the X axis with an 8" radius/16" sweep. It does take longer to use than the dual indicator style, but it didn't cost $100 either. ;) If I trammed my mill table every day, the dual indicator style would be worthwhile, but for my needs, it would be a luxury and I wouldn't have had the fun of "designing" and making one. ymmv

Tom

Guys I been watching Youtubes and I see there is a dozen ways to tram the head on mill.But with this tool it seems that would make tramming so much easier and little quicker and accurate I guess.I know the indicators are as cheap as possible but maybe for this one purpose in life it will work each and every time.I'm not all about spending money but is it worth having and figure it would last life time if I don't drop it? 100.00View attachment 301660
I think it is a one job tool, and a single use solution to a non existent problem. I use a Noga NF1018, which will hold a standard dial indicator or a dial test indicator (DTI), and does the jobs below and many more:
1567956482509.png
1567956523506.png
1567956553914.png
1567956631659.png
along with also sweeping your vise or parts mounted in it. Multi purpose, quick and easy to mount and use, either directly in the spindle or in a Indicol style holder -- which does not require the tooling to be removed from the spindle.
1567956909036.png
1567956943379.png
Edit: It is also a less costly solution, not counting the fact that it eliminates the need for quite a bit of other tooling.

For head tramming I turned a ring to indicate off of. I have seen large bearing cups used also. Whether to use the vise or table to me comes down to how critical it is. Using the table is the “right” way IMO but using a presumably precision vise mounted with care and git er done is likely well within BP type work tolerances.
17e08d8275f3fb9ea05d7d6f4c235490.jpg

It comes down to what do you want to spend your time on....making something or making tooling. Money I have, time I do not. Easy buy decision for me.

I bought the Edge mini due to my Van Norman No10 only has a 6"x30" table. I wanted the ability to tram the head to the table and also the Kurt D40 vise. (Ideally it would not make a difference, however my table is 100 years old).

The wider version will help tram a head more precisely due to the torque arm principal. I am able to tram in my head within 0.001".

Good morning,so many good ideals here which I took or taking the make your own route.So I thought I would post a pic of the material that came in last week.I did watch several Youtubes on making and calibrating them,which it can be made very basic or can turn it into little design approach.I'm going to go the basic design approach which nothing fancy but don't want the straight line approach.Material is 1"x2"x12" with 1/2dia W2 and couple bargain gages from MSC.Little better than HF but nothing near Starrett.Waiting on some cooler weather which coming next week YahoooooIMG_1812.jpg

Back