Edge Technology Pro Tram

This may be a stupid observation but... which comes first, a prefectly set up and trammed mill to make the tool or the the tool to get a well trammed mill? This does seem simple to make and I see a guy selling them on ebay for like $70 but how do you drill the hole to mount up the shaft and make it a perfect 90 deg? not trying to be a smart ass... just wanting to learn/

This may be a stupid observation but... which comes first, a prefectly set up and trammed mill to make the tool or the the tool to get a well trammed mill? This does seem simple to make and I see a guy selling them on ebay for like $70 but how do you drill the hole to mount up the shaft and make it a perfect 90 deg? not trying to be a smart ass... just wanting to learn/
Actually, the shaft doesn't have to be a perfect 90º. The calibration procedure will take care of any errors. It should be reasonably close so the two indicator tips trace the same circle but a slight deviation won't be a problem providing surface of your calibration point is fairly close to perpendicular to the spindle axis. A 1º deviation from perpendicularity would only separate the traced circles by about 1/32". You should be able to better than that just using a combination square.

Fwiw I was going to get that but read a lot of guys weren't happy with them for reasons already noted. Plus, they aint cheap! :oops: I've been using my DI with an articulated arm Noga. Pop it into a 3/8 collet in the spindle and happy tramping I go. :) PS, I turn the spindle by hand using the belt from motor to spindle. I use a piece of paper to allow the DI to traverse the t slots in the table.

Last edited:
Fwiw I was going to get that but read a lot of guys weren't happy with them for reasons already noted. Plus, they aint cheap! :oops: I've been using my DI with an articulated arm Noga. Pop it into a 3/8 collet in the spindle and happy tramping I go. :)

Same. I also just use a Noga arm with a DTI mounted in the spindle. My Noga had a 8mm arbor, didn't like how it fit a 5/16" collet & I got sick of using a 8mm collet so I made a 1/2" arbor for it since my edge finders are also 1/2".

Personal preference I guess, some people prefer the 2 indicator type, nothing wrong with that. I like the Noga (or similar), compact, quick, & easy. :)

1 test indicator on an articulated arm requires no setup or calibration. two dial tool requires setting up and checks over time.
I used the 70 dollars saved to buy a nice bottle of scotch.

I am also not a fan of two indicator tramming aids, but they do work. I use a DTI or a Starrett 196 indicator facing upwards on the end of a Noga NF1018 articulated arm mounted to a collet in the spindle. It is fast and accurate, rigid, and easy to read because the dial faces upwards. It is easy to set the desired size circle for what you are tramming. The same Noga indicator is also really good for indicating holes for centering the spindle over them, quick and accurate. That is it's main use for me. An Indicol or a decent clone works well with Bridgeport and clone mills, but not with my Millrite. The Indicol mounts to the spindle O.D., so a mounted tool can stay in the spindle while tramming.

Edge Technology sent me one of these for free a few weeks ago. Finally tried it out today (didn't actually do any tramming though). It actually works pretty well, compared it to the Noga arm & a DTI that I normally use & got consistent readings. I still like using the Noga arm better, it's quicker to use & that's what I'm used to as I use it for most things on the mill. I'll be keeping this though.

20200127_180410.jpg20200127_180547.jpg

(Sorry for bumping an old thread)

Back