Edge Technology Tool Post Drill Chuck

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
These things have been out for quite some time. I love Edge Technology Products but never really had an interest in this one. My tailstock quill only has 4" travel. Recently had to do some deep hole hole drilling longer than 4" & got me thinking. Was gonna adapt a QCTP boring bar holder with a drill chuck or buy a Morse Taper QCTP holder. Centering would take some fussing around though. Plus I would have to buy another drill chuck. Then I remembered the Edge Technology tool post drill chuck.

Thing is really quick & easy to center. Comes with a dowel pin that mounts in the base with a magnet for storage. Simply loosen 2 SHCS so the drill chuck floats, mount one end of the pin in the drill chuck & the other end in the lathe chuck, then snug up the SHCSs. Even adjusts up & down so no need to really set the height of the tool holder but I did anyway. This thing will come in very handy for peck drilling deep holes too as it will be much quicker moving the carriage back & forth than the tailstock quill. I always hated that.

Very well made, well worth the $100 IMO, plus I had $60 sitting in my Paypal account for a while so feels like I only paid $40 for it. I love this thing!

20191224_181035.jpg20191224_180304.jpg20191224_180238.jpg

Looks very well made. How difficult is it to align to the spindle centerline?

Very easy, just loosen 2 SHCSs that I mentioned.

Arf! Shoulda read through your entire post. :faint:

neat idea on the centering, but whatyagonna do when you're working on a part where the drilling is a 2nd/3rd/ last op and you can't remove the part from the chuck? That's been the vast majority of cases when I've used my toolpost mounted drill chuck, for exactly the reasons you mentioned (though I have to say, I'd LOVE to have 4" of quill travel, mine is about 1 1/2" :( ). I tend to center mine using the turned face of the part and by looking at how the drill moves when it starts cutting. I guess you could always center drill the part with the tailstock, then use a pin with a 60deg cone on the end in your toolpost chuck for alignment.

whatyagonna do when you're working on a part where the drilling is a 2nd/3rd/ last op and you can't remove the part from the chuck?

Good point, I dunno, I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes. :D I suppose I could just leave the part mounted in the chuck, then swap the chuck out & center the drill chuck. I have a D1 cam lock spindle so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

swapping the chuck out is a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

You'll really enjoy this, makes hole drilling much faster. I also find it's a lot faster to retract the chuck, swap out a drill for a countersink or tap and then get back to it.

If you have an itchy wallet, another really handy tool is a tool post mounted live chuck. I made one as an exercise back when I was figuring out how to make QCTP holders and it's been used alot.

Tool post mounted live chuck, oh haven't seen or heard of that one before. When would you use something like that? I do have an inexpensive tailstock mounted live chuck.

I envisioned something other than a tool post drill when I heard live chuck.

Back