Edge Technology Tool Post Drill Chuck

Could you make a tailstock "centering tool" for those times mattM was speaking of? Or will turning the toolpost/cross slide around to line things up with centerline on the tailstock cause additional problems?

I do not find it at all difficult to accurately center a drill chuck using the MT QCTP, I just approach the revolving part with a center drill in the drill chuck and bring it very near the rotating face and further approach until it just touches and makes a mark; the center of that circular mark is center, then move up or down if necessary and laterally until the center drill point is truly centered, and drill your center; eesey peesey ---

Tool post mounted live chuck, oh haven't seen or heard of that one before. When would you use something like that? I do have an inexpensive tailstock mounted live chuck.

I've used it for quite a few things - using my lathe like a rotary table (which I don't have yet) to drill/ tap holes in the face of a piece of work, using the indexing pin in my bull gear (Atlas 618), and drilling holes in the sides of things, such as for set screws or pins. To go from face drilling to side drilling I simply swap the height adjustment screw from the top to the bottom, flip it over and mount it on the other face of the tool post. It's very simple, just a drill chuck on a straight arbor running on a couple of bearings in a QCTP holder. I drive it with a cordless drill.

Hmm, I have the workshop practice series book on spindles, and I've been thinking a toolpost drill spindle would be a very handy thing to have for drilling cross holes. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

The #4 and #41 style boring bar holders seem ideal for this. I've also thought about hacking one into a Hemingway-style ball turner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edge Technology Tool Post Drill Chuck, I have one, bought for drilling a series of deep holes. Much faster than using the tail stock. I did make a QCTP holder for my Dremel so I could use the compound to drill small holes at an angle or side. My home brew indexing on my lathe is less than ideal. I now have a rotary table. Very accurate indexing and much better for things that will fit within the Z stroke.

After I received the tool post drill chuck, I emailed Edge Technology to give them my thanks & tell them how much I liked the product. Not the first time I have emailed them to show my thanks. I normally don't do stuff like that but I really like the items I have from them.

Just received this today, they sent it to me for free! Did not ask me to do a review or anything like that in exchange for the product. Wow totally didn't expect that! What a great company with great products! :big grin:

20200108_204553.jpg20200108_204535.jpg

Back