Educate me about this Hardinge lathe

I would probably pass on that one, now if you can find a Hardinge HLV-x for that price, jump on it.

I know very little about Hardinge lathes. Price is cheap enough, but I've only seen a Hardinge at a distance so all I know is that's they are second op lathes.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/4798403355.html

It is a production lathe with the lever compound rest. The compound can be setup to cut in both directions. There should be adjustable stops. It appears to have a quick or snap collet closure. I seem to recall setting up and running one. They are a nice lathe.

In my opinion that is not worth it. The tailstock appears to be from a different lathe. No traversing carriage, no threading ability.
Look closely at the background of some of the shots. The ones that arent closely cropped to eliminate all the background show a multitude of machinery. At a guess I would say it is a machinery dealer or scrapper. Some of the parts included may not be from that machine. His statement that he has seen the compounds sell for $1800 on their own. Well then why doesnt he have them for sale at $1800? And the additional variable speed belt drive that may or may not fit. So where did that come from then?

Cheers Phil

Its too expensive, and has been said it's a second option lathe or small capston type lathe for repetative stuff.

ive seen the harison tool room lathes go for about that much (maybe a little more) on ebay , now their nice :)

Stuart

i found his statement about the cross slides selling for 1800 was humorous,
the ones selling for 1800 were not left outside to rust.

it can be brought back to shape, but, it's gonna be work....:thinking:

The spindle is nice and shiny. That is a good sign. Spindle threads are easily chased. That rust is not as bad as it looks. Yes it is a production lathe. The tailstock turret will fetch the most when parting the machine out. Easy $1800 here on the east coast. For that price it isn't bad.

"Billy G"

Seems like mixed opinions here on it. It's a 740 mile round trip to look at it I think it's just too far to take a chance on going to look at it. I'm not scared of a project requiring a lot of work, I just went through that with my Bridgeport.

I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone for your input.

Back