Eisen 1324GHE Thoughts?

Well - decided to go a totally different direction. PM is upgrading the 1440GS model (new manufacturer). Still has the precision bearings and hardened gears/ways. They will now have a variable speed (VFD/3ph internal) option. The RPC for the 1740 GS would have been $2k alone. Price was right to get this into our shop now. Don't think I'll take too much of a bath on this if we upgrade and sell it, and the practical experience we'll get is worth something. Should help us decide between a bigger manual lathe vs CNC in a few years as the shop grows. If I thought this was my last lathe would have spent more. As much as I hate compromise, this is a starter lathe for us and frees up a bunch of capital.

More FYI, it is often hard to evaluate the difference in lathes/machines without hands on experience and/or working with people that use these machines. Between the lathes that are typically discussed in this forum, from a quality, reliability and function stand point of view with an emphases to light production work I would recommend the SunMaster series in a 1640 size although they make much bigger models. A VFD retrofit is not that difficult. This is BladesIIB basic VFD install on the 1440TL version.

This is the 1640 version sold buy another manufacturer, that I installed the VFD system on for a friend. Impressive using the lathe, I have the smaller 1340 version and it is a very rigid and enjoy using it.

Back