Eisen 1324GHE Thoughts?

Not yet, still have a while of saving my $. I am planning on either the 1224 or 1324 eventually. If you get yours first you’ll have to let us know what you think of it.
I want the smaller 1224, too, but they are all out of stock. I will be sure to post updates when I buy one though.

Hi All, I am in the market for a home shop lathe. In my lathe use to date, I rarely end up working with anything long so the 12-13 in swing lathes with short beds are appealing to me for space reasons. I had my eye on the Eisen 1224, which seems very similar to the PM1236T that people seem to like, but the 1224 is not in stock and would take several months to arrive. The Eisen 1324GHE looks somewhat similar and is still made in Taiwan but I can't find much info on it other than what Eisen lists.

Does anyone have experience with this model? If so, what do you think of it?

The main difference I see compared to the E1224GH/PM1236T/PM1340GT is the gearbox style and it looks like there is a motor high/low speed setting in addition to the gear changes.
I have the 12x24. Only thing different is it doesn't have a gap. Don't use it much since it's in my garage. I use my small Southbend in the basement mostly since it's air-conditioned down there. I'm going to sell the Eisen actually. I didn't see it on the Eisen site anymore so I googled and found your post. I added a lot of extras. But I'm getting old and don't use any of my machine tools anymore. I like it for the price. But like all Asian equipment you'll have to clean it up a bit. They always throw lots of gunk all over to keep things from rusting in transport.

Attachments

• ll1.JPG
    ll1.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 206
  • ll3.JPG
    ll3.JPG
    695.1 KB · Views: 201
I have the 12x24. Only thing different is it doesn't have a gap. Don't use it much since it's in my garage. I use my small Southbend in the basement mostly since it's air-conditioned down there. I'm going to sell the Eisen actually. I didn't see it on the Eisen site anymore so I googled and found your post. I added a lot of extras. But I'm getting old and don't use any of my machine tools anymore. I like it for the price. But like all Asian equipment you'll have to clean it up a bit. They always throw lots of gunk all over to keep things from rusting in transport.
That looks like a nice lathe. Will you ship it or local only?

Interesting about the Eisen. I am considering them.
I have Precision Matthew machines but after a recent conversation with them, they don't seem to give a rip if I buy from them or not. Would like to upgrade my lathe from the small PM that I have.

Don't know about prior years, but looks like their current lineup of larger Taiwan lathes are made by Yang Iron works (vs Sun Master for PM's TL series). Yang (formerly YAM) makes a very good lathe (Tom Lipton has an older one). Pricing is competitive with PMs stuff.

I did end up purchasing the Eisen 1440E. It was about $3,000 less than the PM1440GT. The service and responsiveness has been very good. I am glad I went this route.
One of the issues I had with PM is that I was told a couple of times that the prices were going up. "When?" I asked. "Well, we don't know for sure". I sort of felt pressured and maybe I was at a used car lot dealing with a sleazy used car salesman. Don't get me wrong, PM's service and support is awesome, but I just could not justify $3k more.

We're thinking seriously about the Eisen 1740. Not ridiculous for what it is. About 1K more than the PM 1660TL, a bunch more mass and 10 hp. Probably a next year thing.

That is one serious lathe.
So far no complaints about mine although I have limited time on it so far. $1k cheaper than PM. If it fits your needs, I would go for it.

Nice lathe, for sure. Like Neil (7milesup), I'm very pleased with my Eisen.

I haven't looked at spec's, but just make sure it's made in Taiwan.

Regards,
Terry

Back