• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Project of the Month Reward

Please nominate your favorite Project of the Month HERE! We will now pay $50 to the winners of the Project of the Month, payable in Amazon Gift Card, PayPal (inclusive of fees), Ebay gift card (inclusive of fees), or Visa gift card (purchase and delivery fees included).
[4]

El Hefe Lives

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Got a meter handy? measure the voltage at terminal one. You may have a voltage drop in a bad wire or connection.

EDIT: By "turning one off" did you actually re-wire the circuit such that only one LED is being powered? Just thinking out loud...

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
500ma should be enough, the 24V LEDs only draw 26ma.
Oh, I know the PS has enough juice, just thinking a loose connection or some other type of high resistance/voltage drop is all.

Chris Bettis

Oh, I know the PS has enough juice, just thinking a loose connection or some other type of high resistance/voltage drop is all.
Yeah I'm not sure. Ill open it up and check it with a meter Saturday.
By switching off I mean one led comes on with power one from estop. No change when the stop is pressed cutting ground to the led.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Not getting a real good picture in my head. Maybe you could jot down your schematic on a piece of paper and email it to me?

Chris Bettis

Not getting a real good picture in my head. Maybe you could jot down your schematic on a piece of paper and email it to me?
Green led (pwr indicator) comes on when control panel is live via key switch. Red e-stop light is controlled by a contact block on the estop switch. When switch is depressed the light turns off. Same pwr source for both led. Same ground for both led's . separate switching via contact blocks on key on, and estop.
Separate note. still need to get a braking resistor to get the motor stop time to 1 second rather than 3.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Sounds ok. I have my e-stop LED on regardless of switch position. Still think you may have a voltage drop somewhere. ;)

Given the low mass of a mill spindle vs. that on a lathe, you probably don't need a braking resistor on your mill. Try it and see. Worst thing that can happen is the VFD throws a fault code.

Chris Bettis

Got a few projects coming up on the lathe soon that required a tooling upgrade. So out with the 5/16 indexable cutters in with 1/2" cutters. Only problem is that my old 3/8ths boring bar holder didn't fit my new 1/2" boring bar, and the 1/2" turning tool holders weren't deep enough to hold the flats safely. So i modified the boring bar holder to accept the new 1/2" bar.
The old bar 5e5357ff553f9f4941a649e5e037572d.jpg
New bar in 100 series holder. Not a great fit..
d79363794aac1025b4c1c827f59a58d4.jpg
After milling out the old bar holder to accept the new bar. cea924bfdf130adbfdba10dced09b3c2.jpg 48ee0050361b66987562abe7d5530539.jpg
Love this machine!

Attachments

Chris Bettis

Also, about the led problem. Im only getting 21 volts at the vfd.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Nice mod on the holder. I know you know this, but that holder isn't going to be real rigid. No hogging cuts! ;)

21 volts is a bit low. Is that with everything disconnected, i.e., no-load?

Chris Bettis

Nice mod on the holder. I know you know this, but that holder isn't going to be real rigid. No hogging cuts! ;)

21 volts is a bit low. Is that with everything disconnected, i.e., no-load?
Yeah i know it wont be real rigid but the entire lathe isn't very rigid and i will only need to remove .020 max off the stock.
And 21 volts is directly off the pins on the vfd with no load from the panel. Same reading at the switch in the panel on line and load side, as well as the line side of both led lights.

Edit: I think I found the culprit. Im losing about 10% from the dc transformer, and I have a 10% imbalance in the 220, which is traced back to the line side of the meter so xcel energy needs a new transformer to feed the house. That's my theory anyway.

Last edited:

mksj

Active User
Most 24VDC LED indicator bulbs will work just fine on anything between 12-24+ volts AC or DC and draw about 11mA, that you have 21 VDC out of the VFD is puzzling, but the line voltage coming into the VFD would not affect this supply. The VFD is rated for 200-240VAC input. I would pull the light bulbs and see if you have LED bulbs and the voltage. Like Jim mentioned, it could be a 120V LED or incandescent bulb, sometimes returned switches to AD might get mixed up and sent out wrong. Also double check the 24VDC voltage supply from the VFD is 500mA, usually they are much less, although Danfoss says 200mA on some models. I would check the current draw if you have a mA DVM, or if there is a sag in voltage when the LED lights are on, they are normally quite bright.

Chris Bettis

I got the new quill stop mounted and re aligned the dro scale for the quill today. 2d4f85834e0e832f547e3e0129a7375f.jpg

Attachments

Chris Bettis

Most 24VDC LED indicator bulbs will work just fine on anything between 12-24+ volts AC or DC and draw about 11mA, that you have 21 VDC out of the VFD is puzzling, but the line voltage coming into the VFD would not affect this supply. The VFD is rated for 200-240VAC input. I would pull the light bulbs and see if you have LED bulbs and the voltage. Like Jim mentioned, it could be a 120V LED or incandescent bulb, sometimes returned switches to AD might get mixed up and sent out wrong. Also double check the 24VDC voltage supply from the VFD is 500mA, usually they are much less, although Danfoss says 200mA on some models. I would check the current draw if you have a mA DVM, or if there is a sag in voltage when the LED lights are on, they are normally quite bright.
I double checked the invoice that I ordered 24v led stuff. Its just weird that both led lights are dim. I could understand if one was 120v and one was 24v ( one bright one dim) However I have not pulled them to verify. I did check with my snap on dmm and there is no measurable change in voltage with the led lights on vs off. And no voltage drop through any of the switches.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Just to cover all the bases, I'd check the LEDs just to make sure. Because this is getting down right weird.

Nice finish on the quill stop. Still sorry I didn't get that finished before you took the mill. :(

Chris Bettis

Just to cover all the bases, I'd check the LEDs just to make sure. Because this is getting down right weird.

Nice finish on the quill stop. Still sorry I didn't get that finished before you took the mill. :(
I think i may just order 2 new 24v led lights from automation direct.
No worries about the quill stop. It was a good little project I enjoyed making.

[6]
[5] [7]