• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Electric brake

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Mikelkie

Iron
Registered Member
I was getting tired of stopping the drill by hand or wait for it to stop by itself
to change from drill bit to a tap.
So i build and fitted a dc electric brake and foot switch. It stops almost immediately now
and a pleasure to use with both hands free.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I was getting tired of stopping the drill by hand or wait for it to stop by itself
to change from drill bit to a tap.
So i build and fitted a dc electric brake and foot switch. It stops almost immediately now
and a pleasure to use with both hands free.
Tell us more. Pics, too.

Mikelkie

Iron
Registered Member
The wiring consists of two contactors each with two sets normally closed (n/c) auxiliaries to avoid the closing of a contactor whilst the other one is closed. ie. electrical interlock
The second set of n/c aux. is to close the brake contacor to inject a dc current into the
running winding of the motor, supplied by a transformer and bridge rectifier.
The timer is set to energize the brake cotactor for the period needed to stop the motor. I also included a foot switch forward and reverse then it leave both hands free
to locate drill points etc. I hope the diagram is legible. I will answer any question where
possible. Thanx for the interest shown
Mike SAM_1044.JPG SAM_1046.JPG

[6]
[5] [7]