Electric foot mount motor to vertical for mill?

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
I couldn't find this in a search.
Is there anything detrimental in taking a foot mounted horizontal motor and mounting it vertically?
Example - I am considering buying one of these MOTOR and making an adapter to mount it in a flange configuration for my mill.
I asked the seller to clarify the mounting surface but I haven't heard back.
Is this a good or bad idea?

believe it or not,
generally, a footed motor and a flange face motor is the same motor, made to the same specifications except for mounting provision.

the 184TC frame has a large shaft 1-1/8" if memory serves

you may wish to look for a 56C frame on your motor choice
the "C" is the mounting configuration for a flanged motor
56 frame motors have a 5/8" shaft with the exception of the 56HZ, it has a 7/8" shaft

My current pulley is 1" and I can turn that out to 1 1/8 easily. Do you still have the 11" SB, Ulma? You were restoring it a long time ago, if I recall.
I just want to make sure that turning that motor on it's head won't be a problem. I don't know how they are secured inside the housings.

My current pulley is 1" and I can turn that out to 1 1/8 easily. Do you still have the 11" SB, Ulma? You were restoring it a long time ago, if I recall.
I just want to make sure that turning that motor on it's head won't be a problem. I don't know how they are secured inside the housings.

If the 1-1/8" shaft works for you, then by all means proceed!
you may need to increase shaft length or otherwise overcome pulley height incongruities.
it does have a C face, which will help out for mounting
the motor will not be hurt, running vertical :grin:

Yes Sir,
i still have the ol' SB11 in the garage.
she awaits patiently for my touch, for a lot of scraping.
my problem is that i have too many interests, and have not devoted the time to work on her :(
i thought i would get a break during the whole shutdown thing, but i got busier for some reason :grin big:

I took mine ('37 11"x54" SB) all apart and took it down to metal.. It is back together with new paint but I will NEVER do THAT again! lol It was a year between taking it apart and new paint. Good news is it is barely worn. I love it!

If the motor has sleeve bearings- maybe not, many sleeve bearing motors are not designed to run vertically
-Mark

Back