Electric motor connection

This is the drum switch I'm currently using

DrumSwitch.jpg

From the look in the picture, you have a 4-wire (White, Black, Red, and Green) cable. I can also see a White wire on the back side of the switch, but can't see what or how it's connected.
Is this 4 wire cable coming from your power source or is it one you used to connect from your switch to your motor ???
If used to connect switch to motor, will need to see how you connected wires to motor as well.It also looks like you have two unisulated wires connected to your switch. Unisulated wires are a bad idea as they can easily short out.
Just a guess, but it these wires look to be 12 or possibly even 10 gauge wires. While you can use them, 14 gauge would probably be a better option, if possible, as they will fit better inside the swith housing and be less likely to short out later on.

The picture is not very good to show other stuff then type of drum switch. The color coding of the wires is not good because I recycle the cable of the old motor. I will try to take better picture in the next days including also the connection box of the motor. I have contacted USMotor and they give me the wiring diagram of the motor. It may possibly add interesting information

Attachments

• D04761958.pdf
    561.1 KB · Views: 8
Those wires look like they could be pressing on the contacts when the cover is installed. I agree with Pigg they should be thinner gauge, 12 at the most.
I suspect you need to recheck your connections since Pigg's instructions are correct and should work. You have everything you need including the motor diagram
from your first post.
Mark S.

I have studied closely the diagram proposed by JPig55. This diagram is really good. thank you for that. I have changed all my wires for 14 gage wires and follow the diagram. I was still having similar issue with no off on the switch and motor with no power. I have tested again my switch and some contacts was surprising. I have found that the ground wire was touching one switch contact. I was the issue. I have removed this wrong contact and know all is good and work perfectly. Thank you all for all your help.

Glad it worked out for you.
I had similar issue when I had to replace the motor on my mill.
I had to direct connect one of the power lead wires around my switch as you did with yours.
Not an issue unless, like you had, a short develops to ground on another lead providing a path for current.
To prevent this I have a dedicated circuit breaker for my mill that I turn off when I'm not in my shop. That way there won't be a problem if a short develops when I'm not there.
I'd advise you do something similar. Best case would be a tripped breaker or fried motor. Worst case....a fire taking out your entire shop or worse.

Back