Electric motor help.

kisuke47

Registered
Registered
Hi I'm new to these forums and hope to get some help I have an old baldor motor I would like to wire up its a single phase ac motor I'm trying to wire it for 115 volts it has a wiring diagram on the motor it says connect wires 1 3 8 and wires 2 J 5 which I have already done each of the wires are in there respective groups connected with wire nuts in the pictures I have them up and out of the way so you can see better so my question is where do I connect my nuetral and hot wires too from my power cord? and what do I do with the number 4 wire that's just hanging there? any help would be great thanks.

wiring 2.jpg

motor wiring.jpg

It looks to me that Line is connected to one and four and the other three are connected together and insulated for low volts. It does not seem to matter whether or not neutral and line are connected one way or the other.

@kisuke47,

It looks like you got a unanimous answer above.

I just wanted to say Welcome to the Hobby Machinist!
I hope you stick around and provide some pictures of the machine this is powering.

-brino

Thanks guys will connect them tomorrow and see what happens motor was given to me and it has been sitting for at least 20 years but turns freely since it is going to be wired for 115 does it matter how many amps the cord can handle? right now I'm wiring it to an old three prong cord will that be fine or should I go buy a higher amp cord just want to be safe thanks.

The wire size on your cord will be determined by the amperage of the motor.

It says 22/11 on the motors tag so I guess 22 amps for 115 and 11 amps for 230 volts? so to be on the safe side at least a 20 amp cord then.

That sounds like about a 2 horsepower motor- it may trip the breakers in your shop (most 115 v outlets are only 15 amp) however you may
be able to start it unloaded on a 15 amp circuit just to test it
Mark

Last edited:
Back