Electric motor help.

12 ga would be a safe size for the cord. I'm guessing a 2 hp motor
Wow the time lag between posting is about 3 minutes.

Should not run it at 120 as common outlet is only rated at 15 amps and there is a 20 amp outlet you ate pushing your luck so to speak.

240 would be better.

A smaller pulley would reduce the load as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys connected all the wires and motor runs fine was a little stiff but once it ran for a bit spins smooth and easy but after sitting for over 20 years that can be expected I did have to replace the capacitors though now just need to put the cover back on take the fan off and give it a paint job.

IMAG0136.JPG

As everyone has posted, your connections for 120 V is across the 1 and 4 terminals as shown for the "Low Voltage" template - but it is not clear to me if the neutral should connect to the 1 or 4 terminal. You may want to check continuity between the motor frame and the 1 and 4 terminals to make sure that the "hot" potential does not manifest on the motor frame because of an unknown internal connection. However, you should be good if you measure infinite ohms between the 1 and 4 terminals and the motor frame (ground).

AC motors (in fact all ac devices) don't care about polarity, you can interchange the hot and the neutral, makes no difference
Mark
i'm referring to input voltage polarity here, once you get inside the motor and start dealing with start windings and such then yes polarity matters

Last edited:
AC motors (in fact all ac devices) don't care about polarity, you can interchange the hot and the neutral, makes no difference
Mark
i'm referring to input voltage polarity here, once you get inside the motor and start dealing with start windings and such then yes polarity matters

I agree that there is no "polarity" issue with respect to AC machines themselves - but, there can be an issue with respect to electric shock safety if the frame of the motor is expected to be a ground potential and the hot is connected where there should have been a neutral. Older equipment sometimes presents concerns - but modern devices make certain that even the neutral is not grounded at the equipment.

That's why a lot of stuff now is double insulated since our electrical outlet system evolved from what was originally a non-polarized system of outlets and plugs; it's still possible with adapters to plug in one of two ways
Always a good idea to have a separate safety ground wire

Back