Electric motor

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I am looking at a lath that has a motor that is 1 1/2 horsepower, dual voltage, single phase.... but is 50 cycles! Will that work on regular 110/220 shop current? Thanks,

Bones

In its' simplist form, yes, it will work.

On a more technical note, the motor speed hence spindle speed will be higher than stated on the nameplate. Nominal motor speed will be 1645RPM vs 1445RPM. The basic formula will be [f=PS/120] where "f" is frequency, "P" is poles, "S" is speed in RPM.

The input variables will be voltage and frequency, at 60 vs 50 cycles/hertz. Voltage will be determined by what you feed it with. I recommend 240 volts for the lower current, but 120 volts will work fine, it just needs a "heavier" circuit to feed it.

Speed will be determined by frequency, 50 or 60 cycles. Poles will most likely be 4 poles, It is possible it is a 2 pole motor, but not likely. The difference being (nominally) 3600 vs 3000 for a 2 pole or 1800 vs 1500 for a 4 pole motor. Actual measurable speed will be a tad lower, usually 150 RPM. The difference is the "slip", which is basically where the motor can develop torque.

Motors are a deep subject and I could expound for hours on the subject. But you aren't interested in a lot of theory. The big issue is that there will be a faster spindle speed than what the nameplate shows. The conversion will be 6/5 or 1.2. So if the indicated speed is 500 RPM, actual speed will be 600. That's all that matters.

Thanks, going to look at a 13 inch LeBlond fir parts , today and it has that 50 cycle motor.

Bones

Back