Electric shop heater question.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a 5000 Watt/ 240VAC shop heater in my insulated garage, I have a problem with the thermostat that came with it, it does not reliably regulate the heat any more especially in the last few day when the weather got really cold.
I already bought a 240V 28A line voltage wall thermostat for it, it was the only one Princess Auto recommended for this heater. my question is, in order to make the new unit as the main control, do I need to bypass the old thermostat ?
It only makes sense to do but how do I bypass it? IIRC, it has a red and a black going in and a red and a black wire going out, do I connect red to red and black to black?
I know it is such a basic question but I need to know if I am on the right track or if there's something else I haven't though of.
Your comments and thought are as always very much appreciated.
BTW, I am not at my computer right now, have to plow the 16" of snow we just received, will be back in a couple of hours.

Here is the data sheet for it- yes you would have to wire it in place of the old one

Attachments

• 8678310_manualnb_en_01_v01.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
In order to assist the most effectively, a picture of the current setup would help.

We were lucky to only receive rain from this storm....

I have a Dayton 220 hanging furnace sounds like the samish. I had gotten it with the thermostat broken on the unit. I ended up having a spare standard digital thermostat. Wired it to the corresponding connections at the heater and it works fine. Fairly easy.

I use a small electric heater to keep things from freezing in my pump house. I purchased a separate freeze control outlet, plugged the heater into it and just set the heater's on-board thermostat all the way up so it never kicks off. No need to remove the original if the contacts are still closing.

Alright guys, thank you all very much, It's all clear now,. I don't foresee any difficulty connecting the new thermostat and bypassing the old one all together,
. No need to remove the original if the contacts are still closing.

That's the problem with the old thermostat, it still goes off even at it's highest setting. I still would like to leave it on the heater but not functional.

Here is the data sheet for it- yes you would have to wire it in place of the old one
Thanks Mark for the data sheet, saw it on the PA site also but printed the one you posted, I might have a few more questions once I receive the DPDT wall thermostat, the problem I'm anticipating is the fact that the thermostat on the heater is a single pole single throw, it also has a connection to the indicator light and also one for the fan, I thought if I connected the two fan tabs together ,that would make the new thermostat run the element and the fan at the same time. does that make sense?
I have not looked inside the heater for 3 years ,will take some pictures of the wiring schematic and the old thermostat , and ask more questions if you all don't mind.

Back