Electrical wire question

In the not far future ,,some of the answers might be " use your electric car's 120 volt power outlet" or use a portable fuel cell

I've got a generator. If I go professional I have to have the backhoe guy out then have the electrician out then supplies....I'm probably talking 3 grand here. The route is thru a forest. I live in a very remote area of montana...not kidding I see more Grizzlies than people. What do you think of me buying enough 10-3 extension cord, rolling it out and only plugging it in when I'm using it. I knew I should have considered this when we did our last run.

I would go with the extension cord(s). They can be repurposed later on. 300 ft. of 10-3 wire will be close to 100 lbs. so you will probably want to break it into shorter lengths. You will have problems finding a 300' length of cable anyway.

This style of cable reel works good for heavy extension cords.

I've found good pricing on longer lengths of cable from Amazon, I'd go with twist lock connectors also.

john

I have an smallish building about 300 feet from an electrical outlet... I need to run a fan or whatever.
Visit an auto wrecking yard and get a used battery, keep it on a trickle charger at the big house, then tote
it (or use a wheelbarrow) to the outbuilding for occasional use. 12V appliances like radios are also
available, and fans, televisions, etc. Add a WiFi link for data, and it's like being at home.

This style of cable reel works good for heavy extension cords.

I've found good pricing on longer lengths of cable from Amazon, I'd go with twist lock connectors also.

john
That reel will hold 150' of plastic sheathed 16-3 cable. I doubt that you would be able to even get 50' of 10-3 cable on it.

Good idea about the twist lock connectors. Just make up adapter cables for the terminal ends.

If you elect to use the more common Nema 5-15 or 5-20 plugs and sockets, there are locking devices sold for the securing connections.

An inexpensive generator is probably more cost effective for the limited use you are describing and has other uses as well. When PG&E kept shutting off the power here last year we ended up buying a Ryobi 1800 watt generator. I wanted a Honda, but when you are buying a generator when half the state has no power you take what is in stock.

I was pleasantly surprised with this little generator. It is quiet, and we were finding a tank of gas lasts about 8 hours (1.5 gallon tank I think). I think it was $599, I spent $50 on my 50 foot 12/3 extension cable, x6 to reach your shed and you are half way to a cheap generator.

This is the generator I have, you can find cheaper ones but I don't know anything about them.
Ryobi 2300/1800

Ryobi has a 1000 / 900 watt for $399 and Harbor Frieght has some really cheap generators.

I want to thank all those that responded. Really good ideas here. I knew I could count on you guys.

I want to thank all those that responded. Really good ideas here. I knew I could count on you guys.

Back