• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Electromagnet filing picker-upper

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

xxxx_guy

Swarf
Registered
Hi,
I have started doing some machining. I'm getting a large amount of chips (big and small). Was looking at putting an electromagnet in a pvc pipe with a button to turn the magnet on when held down. Was looking at an 80kg strength magnet (about $30 off ebay). I can reduce the strength if needed by reducing the voltage. Has anyone done this successfully with an electromagnet? Any suggested pitfalls to this plan?
Cheers,
xxxx_guy

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I like my baton magnet, but the stronger it is, it will be drawn to other metallic objects also. Vices, table legs, etc. I do use it on the floors for the dogs to limit splinters.

derf

Registered
Registered
Wot...don't ye blokes ave brooms dan unda?:grin:

Seriously, it may seem like a good idea, but with repeated applications things tend to get magnetized that you really don't want too.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Wot...don't ye blokes ave brooms dan unda?:grin:

Seriously, it may seem like a good idea, but with repeated applications things tend to get magnetized that you really don't want too.

And I do a lot of aluminum, can't see using it half the time. I am with ya Derf, broom and vac works just fine. :encourage:

Plus the added advantage of cleaning up all the other dirt occasionally.

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
For steel chips/swarf I use the HF extended magnetic thing above. For aluminum, I use a small house broom that has the bristle tips split/fuzzed. It picks up the bigger swarf like Velcro by just poking at it. I then use a shop vac for the smaller stuff.

dtsh

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I keep the shop vac close at hand and I tend to use a chip guard when I can to keep them from flying off to parts unknown.

Sounds like if you build it you'll use it . I'd say try it and then let us know how you make out . We may need your model over ours.

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
Bingo magnets and a paint brush....

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
One neat trick (that I think I read here) is to use a strong magnet in a plastic baggy.
Once full, turn the bag inside-out and either throw-away or dump into the recycle bin.

-brino

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I made a mat out of alternating 1x2's and spacers held together with 1/4x20 threaded rod. It's easy on the feet and most chips fall thru. Just pick it up periodically and sweep the chips left behind.

DSC_0733.JPG

[6]
[5] [7]