Electromagnet filing picker-upper

xxxx_guy

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I have started doing some machining. I'm getting a large amount of chips (big and small). Was looking at putting an electromagnet in a pvc pipe with a button to turn the magnet on when held down. Was looking at an 80kg strength magnet (about $30 off ebay). I can reduce the strength if needed by reducing the voltage. Has anyone done this successfully with an electromagnet? Any suggested pitfalls to this plan?
Cheers,
xxxx_guy

I like my baton magnet, but the stronger it is, it will be drawn to other metallic objects also. Vices, table legs, etc. I do use it on the floors for the dogs to limit splinters.

Wot...don't ye blokes ave brooms dan unda?:grin:

Seriously, it may seem like a good idea, but with repeated applications things tend to get magnetized that you really don't want too.

Wot...don't ye blokes ave brooms dan unda?:grin:

Seriously, it may seem like a good idea, but with repeated applications things tend to get magnetized that you really don't want too.

And I do a lot of aluminum, can't see using it half the time. I am with ya Derf, broom and vac works just fine. :encourage:

Plus the added advantage of cleaning up all the other dirt occasionally.

For steel chips/swarf I use the HF extended magnetic thing above. For aluminum, I use a small house broom that has the bristle tips split/fuzzed. It picks up the bigger swarf like Velcro by just poking at it. I then use a shop vac for the smaller stuff.

I keep the shop vac close at hand and I tend to use a chip guard when I can to keep them from flying off to parts unknown.

Sounds like if you build it you'll use it . I'd say try it and then let us know how you make out . We may need your model over ours.

Back