Electronic Angle Gauges - Who uses them?

yendor

Active User
Registered
AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor / Bevel Gauge
The Spec's say:

• Resolution: 0.05 degrees
  • Accuracy: +/- 0.2°
I've been considering this as something to assit in setup and checking angles.
Does anyone here use one and if so what are your opinions?

AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor / Bevel Gauge
The Spec's say:

• Resolution: 0.05 degrees
  • Accuracy: +/- 0.2°
Does anyone here use one and if so what are your opinions?
I use the model by igage which is identical, not too accurate( about .2-.4 degree or 12 to 24 minutes) but super fast to use. I also use a vernier bevel protractor(accurate to 1 minute ) and a sine bar (accurate to seconds) which is very slow and involves some trig. for utmost accuracy.
Angle block sets also work but are limited to the sizes in the set.

I use one like you show. I like them for around the shop angle setup. The tubing bender and roller are likely candidates. Any fixtures that do not need very accurate angles are prime suspects. I have differing protractors in plastic and metal, they are not always a good size, the smaller digital angle gauge fits most anywhere. I also use a level that has an arm that swings out to give angle measurements. As Pacifica mentions though precise and accurate measurements get measured other ways

I have one made by SPI, very accurate. Close enough for what I do.

I have a NoName one that I would say is accurate to about a degree. It's also close enough for me.

Randy

I use an import with a one degree resolution for doing fab work. I like it. It's seen a significant amount of use over the years and held up well. I imagine the high end equivalent could reliably measure hundredths of a degree using the new generation of gyros from Motorola or Bosch. They are incredibly sensitive components that spit out raw data at 4 digits to the right of the decimal at up to 32 kHz. With good firmware, the sensors can tolerate vibration, too.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I use one to set the angle on my belt grinder table.
Robert

These things work well for fabrication and set ups that don't require a lot of precision. I have several from Beall Tools that are probably about the same as the others and use them to set up table saw blade angles and table angles on the belt sander. But for precision set ups in a milling vise, no, I would use angle blocks at the very least.

Are we talking about one of those angle cubes (that's what I like to call them :big grin:)? If yes, IMO they're not that great for machining setups cause they can only be used in the vertical position.

I have the AccuRemote one but I only use it for my knife sharpener.
20190416_203706.jpg

I used to use a different one that had more features. It could be used laying on it's back & could measure the angles of 2 planes simultaneously. But it had an internal rechargeable battery, everytime I went to use it, it would be dead.
Img_2429.JPG

IMO angle finders like these would be more useful for machining since it could be used in any orientation. Like the angle cube it's not that accurate. But as mentioned, both would be perfectly fine for non-precision use & setting up/checking things in the shop.
71EFO6EKL8L._SL1500_.jpg

I have a SPI branded digital protractor. It's claimed to have an accuracy of 5 minutes & resolution of 30 secs. It's a cheap China tool & I don't trust it's accuracy but it's plenty good enough for anything I do. I rarely ever use it though. I originally wanted a vernier protractor but I scored this one on ebay for cheap from a seller who didn't know what it was. These things originally cost over $300. No way I would pay that much for one, no matter, looks like they don't make it anymore. No surprise. ;)

Img_7044.JPGImg_7042.JPG

Back