electronic lead screw

Curious how you power the ELS. Is there a separate power switch, or is it on whenever the lathe is powered up? I'm thinking of having both, basically a switch downstream of the lathe breaker dedicated to the ELS.

The SC4 has a IEC socket on the back of the headstock. It’s there to provide mains power whenever the lathe is turned on for an optional milling head. As I don’t have that, I’m using it to power both the DRO and the ELS. I can switch either of those off As the ELS has a switched power I out socket, and the DRO has a power switch on the back of the display.

So, in a shocking turn of events, it actually does what it’s advertised to. :D

Quick and dirty M12 x1.75.
40CDB81B-13C7-4817-AE8F-EF526D5138A1.jpeg
4BBB9F91-F093-4EA2-8815-F53E26DF556E.jpeg

Things to note:

• My lathe has a metric leadscrew, 2mm pitch
  • Due to this (and the lack of a thread dial) I need to keep the leadscrew engaged all the time and reverse the lathe at the end of the cut
  • Stopping the lathe when you get to the lead out trough is something I’m going to have to get use to as the lathe doesn’t slow down as quickly as it did with all the change gears.

View attachment 306671View attachment 306672
Things to note:

• Due to this (and the lack of a thread dial) I need to keep the leadscrew engaged all the time and reverse the lathe at the end of the cut
  • Stopping the lathe when you get to the lead out trough is something I’m going to have to get use to as the lathe doesn’t slow down as quickly as it did with all the change gears.
Take a look at Tom Lipton, OxToolsn for a solution to stopping the lathe when you reach the lead out trough on metric threading.

I have the Launchpad up and running and I am having a problem deciding what the proper parameter settings are. I am using a SteppersOnline hybrid stepper driver, CL57T, which appear to be a clone of the the Leadshine ES-D508 driver. However, Clough42 used a KL-5080H driver. One obvious difference is that his driver has no microstep setting switches whereas the other two do.

It appears that I should be daisy chaining the + inputs and connecting PUL-, DI-, and EN- leads to their respective driver inputs. It also appears that the STEP and DIRECTION logic should be left active high while the ENABLE and ALARM logic should be active low.

I am also guessing that I should be setting my MICROSTEPS to 8 and my RESOLUTION to 200 to match my selection on the drive.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

links to the three manuals:

I have the Launchpad up and running and I am having a problem deciding what the proper parameter settings are. I am using a SteppersOnline hybrid stepper driver, CL57T, which appear to be a clone of the the Leadshine ES-D508 driver. However, Clough42 used a KL-5080H driver. One obvious difference is that his driver has no microstep setting switches whereas the other two do.

It appears that I should be daisy chaining the + inputs and connecting PUL-, DI-, and EN- leads to their respective driver inputs. It also appears that the STEP and DIRECTION logic should be left active high while the ENABLE and ALARM logic should be active low.

I am also guessing that I should be setting my MICROSTEPS to 8 and my RESOLUTION to 200 to match my selection on the drive.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

links to the three manuals:

Reading the CL57T manual, I’d set the driver to 1000:
7E050E6C-DCE3-49CC-B21F-B7AA4028CB77.jpeg

as I believe the term microstep is being used interchangeably. I reckon this is the steps per revolution. Then in configuration.h set the steps to 1000, and the micro steps to the ratio of pulleys being used (I like James have 3:1 so I set mine to 3).

Try it out At low speed and check your movement.

A
I connected everything together and powered up. With connections and parameters set as above, the system works and at 12 tpi it tracks 1:1 as it should. Spinning the encoder by hand, I lost steps at something over 1000 rpm. Spinning at over 450 rpm, I still tracked. 12.tpi is .0833"/rev and at 1000 rpm, that is 83 ipm.which is moving fairly fast. Clough42 has set the upper limit for feed at .040"/rev. so everything looks good so far.

I will have to wait for a more precise test until I have the encoder mounted on the lathe.

On to enclosures as I wait for the encoder belt. :beer mugs:

View attachment 306671View attachment 306672
Things to note:

Your enthusiasm inspires! well done indeed. A VFD brake would solve your stopping issue. Some VFD's inject DC into the field coils.. stops DEAD fast.
- hey did U make the collect chuck? if not where buy U?

I would be concerned about a sudden spindle stop or reversal of direction causing high back emf in the stepper and triggering a driver error.

- hey did U make the collect chuck? if not where buy U?

it was an eBay purchase. One of the ubiquitous Chinese 5c chucks out there. I turned the back plate though.

it was an eBay purchase. One of the ubiquitous Chinese 5c chucks out there. I turned the back plate though.
Ah will get one then, - making a backing plate one needs an ELS, well, at least for a threaded spindle. Cam lock poses more problems I suppose (never used one).

Back