electronic lead screw

I'm sorry you feel that your thread was hijacked. You sort of opened the door when you asked about the state of the art for an ELS. I got into the discussion when there were 46 previous posts, many regarding the Clough ELS

There was a short lived thread specifically devoted to the Clough42 ELS started last February. Unfortunately, much of the useful information is already located in your thread. A search for Clough42 will pop up your thread more than any other from the shear abundance of posts. This forum has a tremendous wealth of information but it gets bogged down by the shear volume.

In spite of my having already installed the Clough42 ELS, I am following your progress and am looking forward to seeing your final implementation. .

Regardless of solution, if the purpose of an ELS is to be a tool, the user interface can be something of a slippery slope, turning it into a project. Yeah, Clough42's approach is sort of old-school, but it does the job and lets me get on with things.

Last edited:
I don't know what is customary on this forum, but it is common in other forums to split out a subtopic, and moving the Clough42 postings from this topic into the other thread that is already about that topic might be appropriate. Collect like information. It helps both the people looking for the Clough42 ELS info and those looking for "other" ELS info. It is a bit of work for a moderator, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm sure I am one of the many that lead this "Electronic Lead Screw" thread back to....well, you know. I apologize for that and honestly, this thread comes up (probably) number one or close to it if you search that name. I think what you are doing is extremely cool and would suggest you start a fresh thread with the build from ideal to where it is now (and hopefully a final product) It definitely deserves it's own recognition. Just about everything you're doing with it, I'd love to incorporate into mine (though I think it's above my comfort level.) I look forward to that thread..

More progress. Synchronized feed to a position is now working.

Fantastic work, wish I could write code!
Really looking FWD to end result.
A world beater!:)
An Aussie nerd watching & waiting patiently.

Fantastic work, wish I could write code!
Really looking FWD to end result.
A world beater!:)
An Aussie nerd watching & waiting patiently.

you are the only thing stopping you from learning to write code!

I'm self taught, I started with perl in 1996 and bought a bunch of books. Then I learned java, then ruby, then elixir and erlang, then elm and a tiny bit of haskel. Javascript is a language but then you have to learn the framework, jquery was first dc.js with d3.js and crossfire.js, next was angular.js, and react.js and learning about all the transpilers and minifiers like babel and brunch.js, 4 years ago I started to learn c and c++ on embedded where people seem to ignore all of the rules of modern programming like writing tests and using abstractions, seems many want you bitshifting and staying close to the assembly.

Moral to the story is that now I'm mediocre in all of them but you have to start somewhere!

Being serious for a moment, there has never been a better time to learn something new. It was much harder before we had all of the resources we now have on the internet.

I'm self taught, I started with perl in 1996 and bought a bunch of books. Then I learned java, then ruby, then elixir and erlang, then elm and a tiny bit of haskel. Javascript is a language but then you have to learn the framework, jquery was first dc.js with d3.js and crossfire.js, next was angular.js, and react.js and learning about all the transpilers and minifiers like babel and brunch.js, 4 years ago I started to learn c and c++ on embedded where people seem to ignore all of the rules of modern programming like writing tests and using abstractions, seems many want you bitshifting and staying close to the assembly.

Was that in English?
Even coming from a guy that originally started out in college (1984) with computer programming, that all seemed overwhelming.
Oh, I started in Fortran, until I switched to flying airplanes. LOL

Last edited:
Wish I had the attention span. I really thought many of these start/stop needs could be attained at some point from my ELS, but it sounds as if it has limitations that won't allow this sort of thing. I have no remorse, but if you ever get a working model, that is easily explained in how to recreate, I could very well be on that band wagon.

Wish I had the attention span. I really thought many of these start/stop needs could be attained at some point from my ELS, but it sounds as if it has limitations that won't allow this sort of thing. I have no remorse, but if you ever get a working model, that is easily explained in how to recreate, I could very well be on that band wagon.

Back