Electronic Lead Screw

The DIP switches are all set correctly and I tested this to be sure. It definitely seems like the GPIO1 (DIR pin) ont he launchpad isn't switching - I've tested everything else and this seems to be the problem. It's not a faulty Clough42 board either (I have two).
  • The reverse button changes the LED's but makes no difference to the motor direction.
  • The motor will turn the other way if I set its DIP switch, but still won't change direction.
  • The encoder is working perfectly.
  • Jumping the controller's DIR- terminal to ground DOES cause the direction to change (this is what the GPIO1 pin is supposed to do via the Clough42 interface).
  • GPIO1 to ground is a few mv and to 5v is 4.8v, so this pin is high and never changes as far as I can measure with my DMM.
  • DIR- to gnd is 4.15v wich is what you'd expect from GPIO1 being high.

Have you checked the GPIO pin without the clough42 board installed? It sounds like you might have. Odd. The pin should be connected to the CPU directly, perhaps with pull up or down resistors.

Yes I tested the GPIO pin directly both with and without the Clough42 board. After extensive testing and even watching the registers directly in debugging I'm convinced that I've got a microcontroller with a bad GPIO pin. I've ordered a new board which will take a while to arrive from overseas.

It sounds like that is the case. That's frustrating if you have to import it. You could probably work around it with a different GPIO pin and a small mod to the adapter board, and code, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

I hope you get the replacement in soon!

That's what I WOULD have done, but I'm making certain other changes (adding a second display/buttons for additional functionality) that it kinda complicates things too much, so I've decided the new board makes more sense.

Received my new Launchpad and yep the problem was a faulty GPIO pin on the old microcontroller. Haven't yet had a chance to take it for a proper test run, but everything seems to be working correctly now.

Clough42 ELS question

Can anyone tell me what happens and what is displayed when you push the SET button?

It should just say (by memory) NO SETTINGS. There isn't currently any features tied to the settings button.

How does the Clough42 system work on these double shaft lathes? I have a similar Weiss 1127 lathe with the separate lead vs threading screw and i'm guessing that James didn't create the software with that configuration in mind. I was curious if it could be modified to have a different multiplier for feed vs threading or if it even matters at all.

Back