Elevator Shaft Issues

Can you make a soft jaw basically a square chunk of metal and bore out to shaft size then cut in half so yo can use vise to torque down and hold shaft.

Good idea...basically a chuck of metal with a hole the size of the shaft, slit it half, and then it will be slightly smaller than the shaft and should put a good hold on it. I have some mild steel. I'll give it a go.

Can you make a soft jaw basically a square chunk of metal and bore out to shaft size then cut in half so yo can use vise to torque down and hold shaft.

Well scratch that idea. I had my benchtop mill and 9x20 lathe up for sale since I'm going to have the bridgeport and a 13x40 Jet. Well....as fate would have it someone bought it tonight. So now I don't have a mill to make the part. haha. Back to the drawing board!

Got it off. Ended up taking a couple pipe wrenches to it and justing settling on the fact that I was going to have to replace the shaft most likely. Ended up threading off with a ton of encouragement. As expected, the shaft under those parts was rusted and pitted pretty bad. Oh well, needed to make an H&W order anyways. I was able to salvage everything except the shaft and dial holder. Of course the clutch part was already broken so that needs to be replaced also.

Thanks for all the help guys.

You could use the 13x40 if it's set up. Really just need a square block and drill the hole with a drill and hacksaw in half if it came down to it. Just read the above good job.

You could use the 13x40 if it's set up. Really just need a square block and drill the hole with a drill and hacksaw in half if it came down to it. Just read the above good job.

I wish I could have....I'm not going to run that thing until I can take it apart and clean it real good. I have a bad feeling if I start running the carriage over those rusted ways, I'm not going to do it any favors.

Dang, well at least I kinda helped with the problem. lol

Jon

@hwelecrepair absolutely. I really would have been in a pickle had you not shown me that threading. No worries, I put in an order to H&W last night for a new shaft and several other goodies.

Back