Elk Herd Near Salinas, CA

There's a herd about that size that we often see in a valley close to Ragged Point on hwy1. What's really fun is see the herd of zebra on the Hurst Castle reserve. There's also the elephant seals. It's great to be in an area where there is so much wildlife. There are several raptors in the eucalyptus groves here. Red tail hawks, kestrel, peregrine falcon and last year we had a bald eagle that was watching the back bay in one perch for several months. Being so close to Montana de Oro state park all kinds of critters like deer, possum and raccoon are very common running around the neighborhoods when I'm doing my daily do walks. One of the neighbors posted a pic of a bobcat that got in her chicken coup and after it cleaned out decided to stay. Oh and lots of coyote. Unfortunately the only pic I have is the one someone posted of a wild pig when they were becoming a problem in the slough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5
Yes sir Ted, i had forgotten about them- i love seeing them anywhere!
as a matter of fact we saw both the herds when we went salmon fishing on the Klamath

i feared for the life of a couple tourist people in Orick who were attempting to get selfies with the elk.
i had to yell at a group of them, tellin' the morons that they (the elk) can kill humans
they backed off quick.
I worked in Yosemite for three summers in the Garage and would ride the loop on my bike in the evenings. As I whizzed past I would see the same stuff of family's with small children walking across the meadow toward a doe and her fawn, a momma bear and her two cubs etc. I was at the lodge waiting to use the pay phone and this couple of little old ladies asked me where they could feed the bears. I looked at them in shock and said you saw its illegal to feed the animals right? and insanely dangerous? They both looked at me like I was some wussie and said we'll be all right and said I hear the bears are always in the dumpsters behind the lodge every night and off they went. im glad your yell Doc got one of those "turkeys" to think twice. Somehow I never could. I find it fitting the yearly Darwin Awards are for the supidiest way to take yourself out of the gene pool.

Last edited:
Back