Elliott/Invicta shaper feed mechanism

Schtimpy

Registered
Registered
I am looking for some help: I want to disassemble the feed ratchet mechanism on my Invicta/Elliot 14" shaper. Does anyone know how the plunger comes apart so that it comes out of the casting?
Inked7d4eb430d131109db248a0c88476373214d2dd74 (1)_LI2a.jpg

From the pic, it looks like there is a pin, or set screw at the top of the casting. Does the hole go all the way through?

Mine is not an Elliot but has a similar looking pawl arrangement. The knob is pinned through from the side.

174DC2CF-8D4E-468D-8D9D-B88B33E27760.jpeg

unfortunately there are a few dings in mine, so I cannot see any cross pin, but I agree that it is logical for there to be one. If I knew which orientation it ran in, then it would be easier to try to locate it.
The pawl rod does pass all the way through the knurled knob and does not appear to be threaded.

I wonder if you applied a layout dye to the sides of the knob and then wiped it off whether there may be traces left in the recesses that might suggest the outline of a round pin? Something thin, like a marking fluid, that would seep into the crevices? Might make a round outline stand out from the rest of the ding marks.

-frank

unfortunately there are a few dings in mine, so I cannot see any cross pin, but I agree that it is logical for there to be one. If I knew which orientation it ran in, then it would be easier to try to locate it.
The pawl rod does pass all the way through the knurled knob and does not appear to be threaded.
I have taken the assy off the shaper and had another thorough look at it, and found the cross pin: over the years it had been peined to the point it was no longer visible. I was able to tap the pin out, and therefor remove the knob and disassemble the feed pawl mechanism.
That allowed me to regrind the ratchet pawl to remove the wear, and also to fix the knurling. It now ratchets much more positively. Thanks for your ideas

Back