Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well gang, I am back at it. Here is my next restoration project, an Ellis 1100 bandsaw. Here are the pictures of what I am starting with. This is going to be my up grade from my little 4 x 6 bandsaw. I figured I was at the point of doing the standard mods to it when this miter saw showed up on Craig's List. I couldn't refuse. So the plan is to restore and modify as I go. I hope you enjoy the project.

Ellis Saw 1.JPG Ellis Saw 2.JPG Ellis Saw 3.JPG Ellis Saw 4.JPG Ellis Saw 5.JPG Ellis Saw 6.JPG Ellis Saw 7.JPG Ellis Saw 8.JPG Ellis Saw 9.JPG Ellis Saw 10.JPG Ellis Saw 11.JPG Ellis Saw 12.JPG

That is one nice looking band saw, I have never seen like it.

That is one nice looking band saw, I have never seen like it.

They are very popular in the fabrication (welding) shops. Next up I will show the teardown.

That bandsaw looks to be in great shape, not much restoration needed, we have the same model in my buddies muffler shop, missing many parts and poorly repaired, it usable but after pricing all the replacement parts I've decided it not worth restoring.
Nice thing about the Ellis saws are all the parts are available and they were very helpful on the phone.
Great looking saw there RandyM

That bandsaw looks to be in great shape, not much restoration needed, we have the same model in my buddies muffler shop, missing many parts and poorly repaired, it usable but after pricing all the replacement parts I've decided it not worth restoring.
Nice thing about the Ellis saws are all the parts are available and they were very helpful on the phone.
Great looking saw there RandyM

Burton, you are correct, the machine is in very good shape. Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts. Well, needless to say, someone did use coolant and every bearing on the machine needs replacement. If I recall correctly, this machine is a 1989 vintage and has seen its fair share of use. I am one to NOT to do a half a job. I do not want to ever mess with it again for maintenance once I am done and I like my stuff looking good. Once done, it will work flawlessly for the rest of my life. Hang with me on this one, I will change your mind on it needing a resto.

You are also correct, the parts I bought for it were almost half of a new machine. So you want to make sure you start out with a good one. Mine will be BETTER than new when I finish. Wait til you see the up grades, you do not know what over kill is (as I have already been accused of here :bitingnails:) until the finished result. Stay tuned.

I decided to do the project in two seperate sections, the base and the cutting head. I started with the base, this allows me to bolt things together as they are finished. So, with that being said, here are some teardown shots of the base.

Disassembly - Base 1.JPG Disassembly - Base 2.JPG Disassembly - Base 3.JPG Disassembly 1.JPG Disassembly 2.JPG Saw Base Parts - 1.JPG Saw Base Parts - 2.JPG

That's a great saw Randy! I'm sure you'll make this thing into a killer saw. Did it come new with that roll-away base? That is so cool, I've never seen one quite like it.

Marcel

Back