Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

Randy you should send some photos to Ellis, they would also be jealous! Your making them look bad and it's their saw! Very nice work, that saw should do you on out without any problems!!

David

:thankyou: David, that is very kind of you.

You making that little saw look beautiful and function perfectly is so cool to me at this hour.
I have spent the last three days bent over one of these little honeys making production parts!
It sure does not look as good as your starting point.........
Would you point me in the direction of making the cute little vice work better? Same-same but I need to use an 11R Vice Grip to help it out.
Beautiful project!

Would you point me in the direction of making the cute little vice work better? Same-same but I need to use an 11R Vice Grip to help it out.
Beautiful project!

Thank you Duey for your kind words. What I did of course was completely dissassemble the entire vice, clean it, make it pretty, re-assemble, and lubed it. I understand you are in no position to do all that. What I would recommend is to make sure it is lubed well. There is an oil hole on top of the main vise housing casting. Then I would unclamp it from the table, turn it over and adjust the thumb screw to see if that will help. Otherwise you just may have used it too much that is well wore out. Hope this helps.

Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts.------ Why would Ellis do this---- I always thought you added life to the band and got a better cut with lube??
Your work is outstanding---------- Thanks for sharing.

Ellis does not recommend the use of coolant in making cuts.------ Why would Ellis do this---- I always thought you added life to the band and got a better cut with lube??

You are correct, Ellis does more than recommend, they insist you do not use coolant on their saws. Someone did use coolant on this saw before I started the re-construction, boy what a mess. Not one ball bearing could be turned by hand, froze up solid and not rust. Here is my personal opinion, I think that for most cutting, lube or coolant is not really needed if you have the correct blade (tpi), speed, and feed. The saw I am replacing is an asian 4 x 6 and I never used lube or coolant. And I cut everything from steel to aluminum, to bar and plate, to pipe and tubing. My blades lasted a long time unless I did something foolish. I really don't think you need coolant as well. My mode of operation is to set the blade speed to medium, use a medium blade (tpi, usually variable pitch), and not over do it on the feed. But again, this is just my opinion.

Your work is outstanding---------- Thanks for sharing.

:thankyou:

Then I would unclamp it from the table, turn it over and adjust the thumb screw to see if that will help. Otherwise you just may have used it too much that is well wore out. Hope this helps.

Aha! An "adjusto" (thumb screw) underneath...... I likeys!
I'm new to that shop but I am also the now resident mechanic/fix-all guy. I think I'll rip it apart in the morning!
Thanks Randy!

Well, it's as finished as it's gonna be for now. I still have plans for some more mods but, they will have to wait for the time being. The machine is all tuned up and cuts real smooooooooth. Here are the pics.

Complete 1.JPG Complete 2.JPG Complete 3.JPG Complete 4.JPG Complete 5.JPG Complete 6.JPG Complete 7.JPG Complete.JPG

That is a great looking saw. Good job. Did you use a paint gun for that gorgeous paint job?

Rick

That is a great looking saw. Good job. Did you use a paint gun for that gorgeous paint job?

Rick

Hi Rick,

No, the big stuff in the gray was with a foam roller and hardener added to the paint. The rest is all powder coat. Almost forgot, the black is out of a spray can (motor and gearbox) the truniun black is powder coat.

Last edited:
Back