Ellis 1600 bandsaw arrives

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I studied bandsaws for 3 months and watched for used ones. Since I live in LA (Lower Alabama), Craigslist is almost worthless. The belief of the region is that used equipment is worth almost as much as new and the availability is limited too.

I decided to give it up and "buy once" and got good input from a couple of my buddies here on the forum. I also have something to pass on to my son who loves this stuff as much as I do and actually owns a machine shop. Here are some photos of the Ellis coming to its new home.

Crated well and treated kindly by FEDEX Freight
Ellis coming home (5).jpg
Ellis coming home (6).jpg

Stripped the crate off and sucked it up to get the trailer out from under it:
Ellis coming home (8).jpg
Ellis coming home (12).jpg

Decent motor, good looking angle drive gear box, and what appears to be an excellent hydraulic cylinder:
Ellis coming home (14).jpg

Head rotates on heavy duty trunnion with roller bearings.
Ellis coming home (22).jpg

Yeap, it is heavy but can be moved using the extension handle if you've been practicing your deadlift technique. A bad back is not compatible with moving this saw!
However, I discovered that a chrome moly tube cheater pipe I have fits it the handle perfectly and lets me wheelbarrow this beast around without too much effort. You have to raise the saw to move the CG back and it is good to go. I am imagining some cam actuated casters on the front or other arrangement is in the saw's future. I like it sitting on its front feet to give it a solid foundation.

A 1" blade is an impressive animal when you see it eye to eye!
Ellis coming home (19).jpg

Yeap, made in the USA! A rare thing these days.
Ellis coming home (16).jpg

I need to assure that all the bearings are adjusted properly and the counterbalance force tuned up. But I did run it and was surprised at how smooth and quiet it is. I am waiting on the accessory vise that I ordered but it ships direct from the factory. I've got a piece of 4" heavy wall pipe that needs to be cut and that will be the first test this weekend. Last go at that pipe was with a plasma cutter and the finish was a bit rough.

BTW, I bought the saw from Elite Metal Tools and have been impressed with them thus far. Ordered it on Monday afternoon, they shipped it Tuesday a.m. and it showed up on Thursday morning via FEDEX Freight (Michigan to South Alabama).

Hey, I'm from EliteMetalTools.com. Love this post! Thanks for spending the time to show the process of getting your band saw up and running. Enjoy the saw. I'd love to give you a discount code on the next product you buy. Message me.

Last edited:
Alan,
Nice post and pictures of your new saw, sweet machine. I had the same saw in our fabrication shop at work and can tell you that it is a high quality saw. It's very versatile when cutting angles and so quick to set up,congrats.
Just as a side note, I have no affiliation with Ellis equipment, just a user of their products.

Looking good Allen. Go slow with new blades to break-in. So long as it's cutting, your good (not too slow).

Looking good Allen. Go slow with new blades to break-in. So long as it's cutting, your good (not too slow).
Paco, thanks. Looking to get the Bahco blades you mentioned in another thread. Looks like yours uses 11' long blades, this one uses 10' long. So I am on the hunt to put a couple on the shelf soon for spares.

Alan
What a great looking saw. Thanks for the detailed pictures. It's nice to see a New, Clean saw.
Extending the handle is a good idea. Ever year I swear things get heavier.

I weighted what it took to lift my model 100H Ellis saw , 84 lbs. ,when the head is in the lower position.
48 lbs., when the head is standing straight up.
I haven't tried moving the saw in this position.

Hal

Back