Ellis cam lock drill press vise?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have been studying the Ellis drill press. Ellis sells an accessory cam action vise that looks handy.

Anyone here have one of their vises and have any feedback on it? I am sure many of you are familiar with the Wilton cam action drill press vise as well.

Here are a couple of photos of the Ellis 6" vise:
ellis vise II.JPG

ellis vise.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any experience with that one, but it looks good in the picture. Remember, it's for a drill press, not a mill.

Looks just like the Heinrich vise. The Heinrich is one of the best cam action vises ever made. USA made and built to last.

Yes it does look similar to a Heinrich. There are several of this type of vise out there. The Ellis is a bit unique in how it attaches to the table using the long bar captured in a block locked down on the slot.

Here are the Heinrich, Wilton and Palmgren. All appear to work on the same concept.

Heinrich (made in USA):
upload_2017-3-22_7-15-30.png

Wilton (made in Taiwan):
upload_2017-3-22_7-17-36.png

Palmgren (Taiwan or China?):
upload_2017-3-22_7-26-12.png

BTW, Heinrich also offers this sort of vise for a drill press. This has the "bar" feature the Ellis has.

upload_2017-3-22_7-57-59.png

So looks like Ellis adopted the Heinrich idea on the bar - anyone use the Ellis drill press vise?

Last edited by a moderator:
That vise is better suited for production work (doing many parts of the same size). Or somebody with arthritis or something that makes it easier to operate with the lever instead of turning a handle. The screw-handle type IMHO is better if you want to FEEL the amount of grip.

I have a similar Ellis drill press with their vise. The quality and reliability of both are outstanding. I would definitely get the vise.

Randy

Back