• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Ellis Saw Vise Clamp

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My Ellis band saw has a quick acting vise for holding the stock in place while cutting. The vise can not be located real close to the blade and can cause a clamping issue when trying to cut really short pieces even shorter. So, here is my solution. I made an adjustable clamp. Seems to work pretty well.

And yeah I know, it still needs some paint.

Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 04.JPG
Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 02.JPG
Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 04.JPG

RandyM

Staff member
Wow great idea I like it.
Thanks Thomas. It is quick and simple. I made it symmetrical so that I don't have to run the threaded rod all the way thru for wide pieces, just flip it over and a quick adjustment.

Alan H

Here are some rudimentary clamping cauls made from 4" pipe. Cut the pipe to length and split it. Not as sophisticated as yours Randy and a bit ugly. But they seem to work well.

I made them in three different widths and they were made in the Ellis. (Did knock the burrs off on the belt sander.)

I have some made and awaiting a slot in them for use on the Ellis drill press and my milling machine as clamping cauls.

EDIT: I have some stainless pipe that the next ones will come from 'cause it will be prettier.

clamping cauls i.jpg

clamping cauls ii.jpg

Last edited:

RandyM

Staff member
That'll work too Alan. I just didn't have material like that laying around. Plus, I have one size to fit all, so to speak. Yours are definitely much simpler to make. :encourage:

[6]
[5] [7]