Ellis Saw Vise Clamp

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My Ellis band saw has a quick acting vise for holding the stock in place while cutting. The vise can not be located real close to the blade and can cause a clamping issue when trying to cut really short pieces even shorter. So, here is my solution. I made an adjustable clamp. Seems to work pretty well.

And yeah I know, it still needs some paint.

Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 04.JPG
Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 02.JPG
Saw Vise Short Stock Tool 04.JPG

Wow great idea I like it.

Thanks Thomas. It is quick and simple. I made it symmetrical so that I don't have to run the threaded rod all the way thru for wide pieces, just flip it over and a quick adjustment.

Here are some rudimentary clamping cauls made from 4" pipe. Cut the pipe to length and split it. Not as sophisticated as yours Randy and a bit ugly. But they seem to work well.

I made them in three different widths and they were made in the Ellis. (Did knock the burrs off on the belt sander.)

I have some made and awaiting a slot in them for use on the Ellis drill press and my milling machine as clamping cauls.

EDIT: I have some stainless pipe that the next ones will come from 'cause it will be prettier.

clamping cauls i.jpg

clamping cauls ii.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That'll work too Alan. I just didn't have material like that laying around. Plus, I have one size to fit all, so to speak. Yours are definitely much simpler to make. :encourage:

My Ellis needs that setup! I should get things together and make one up once I get the DRO on the mill...

Thanks Randy!

My Ellis needs that setup! I should get things together and make one up once I get the DRO on the mill...

Thanks Randy!

Thanks. You'll have to post your creation. Before I made this clamp, I was just using scraps to block things up. This is a far better solution.

I am envious, I need to add a DRO to my mill as well.

I just use my step blocks from the mill hold down set generally. Can usually get close enough to stock size to hold it securely. Or a jack if I don't have a second piece of the same size.

Back