Elmer Verburg Engine x2

cyrusb

Registered
Registered
Here's what I believe was an Elmer Verburg design that I doubled the dimensions. In addition to that, I added about 20% to the flywheels. This produced the most reliable little motor I have ever seen run. When it stops,it has run out of fuel.

engine 002.jpg engine 001.jpg engine 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking engine cyrusb...i was not aware that Elmer had ever published any IC engines.

You may be right, could be an Edgar T Westbury, to me, these guys all meld toghether. I've built so much of their stuff over the years. That engine is still in "as built" condition. Most everything I make that is for "me" is left that way. I have a plan to amuse myself in my later years finishing them off on a snack table in front of the tv. Kit's made by me. In the meantime I like the mill finish.

Wow Cyrus!
Maybe someday my skill-set will be up to a project like that.

Alan

I've always loved hit-and-miss engines. I've never thought about building one. It's on the list now.

Very nice work. I tend to go for function over finish on my projects . Maybe that will change a bit with the shaper.

Just love it. my type of motor. MORE --MORE-- MORE-

BEIAN.

I too, don't sweat the finish, but as I stated earlier, will get to that in my later years. I think I threw you guys a curve on this engine, it may be an Edgar T Westbury design. I'll post my Elmer x 2 tonight, that's a horizontal steam engine that I added a separate oil pump for extended running. As an aside, that hit and miss will run all day without water in the hopper. (as long as you don't make it do any work)

Heres the Elmer I doubled and added a lubrication system. Also used steel instead of aluminum, it holds doors open the best. Tested with 90 psi air and it dynoed at 11 watts. Yeah, it gets that crazy.

elmerside.jpg elmer rear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic piece of machinery, what a project!love it! regards Bob

Back