Elmers #5 steam engine

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
This is the first complete project I have completed using my new PM45-M mill and PM1236 Lathe.

It's a cool little steam engine from Elmers book.

The video isn't real great but you get the idea.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAUUonZPhs

And then here are some pics of the completed engine. A lot clearer than the video.

Elmer-1.JPG

Elmer-2.JPG

Elmer-3.JPG

Elmer-4.JPG

Elmer-5.JPG

Elmer-6.JPG

Elmer-1.JPG Elmer-2.JPG Elmer-3.JPG Elmer-4.JPG Elmer-5.JPG Elmer-6.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful work! I looked through your wesite and you have certainly done some master class woodworking. If I may ask how did you cut the inside gear?
Thanks
Michael

Nice work Gary. Looks like it runs smooth with no binding.
I have to ask, did you buy the gears as suggested in the plan or did you make them?
I'm working on Elmers #43 but had a slight setback when the speed control went poof on my lathe.:angry:
Just got it back going today.
Again, that's a nice running engine!

Mike

Beautiful work! I looked through your website and you have certainly done some master class woodworking. If I may ask how did you cut the inside gear?
Thanks
Michael

Thanks Michael. I purchased the internal gear (Boston Gear YI4872). Expensive little bugger. Now that I have one, I'll just copy it if I need another.

Nice work Gary. Looks like it runs smooth with no binding.
I have to ask, did you buy the gears as suggested in the plan or did you make them?
I'm working on Elmers #43 but had a slight setback when the speed control went poof on my lathe.:angry:
Just got it back going today.
Again, that's a nice running engine!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I guess you posted this as I was replying to another post, so you got my answer about the gear.

I like #43 also as well as #29 and #35. But I'll probably make a two cylinder #38. Give me a chance to do some engineering on a modified version combining the features I like
from 3-4 different engines.

I want to try casting some of my own parts also but that probably won't be for a while.

Gary

That is a very nice engine,you should be very proud.Thanks for showing it to us.

Ian.

Very nice work on your engine. I always thought that gearing arrangement made for a very interesting action. I like you had to purchase an internal gear for another project. You'd have thought they were made from gold for what they wanted.
gbritnell

Now that's a little cutie worthy of the POTM.

"Billy G"

I finally figured out hot to post a video correctly. You have to make sure the "http://" is there and not just the "www".

[video=youtube;FTAUUonZPhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAUUonZPhs[/video]

Back