ELS on Mini-Lathe?

I used nut and washer. It holds well and is easy to set up.

Got it. Thanks.

Next, question. I'm thinking the best way to make cutouts in the sheet steel is to use an angle grinder. Make sense?

Cutoff wheel on an angle grinder or dremmel would work. I used a hole saw for the large cutout, twist drills for the mounting holes. I just happened to have a hole saw that was about the right size.

Okay, making progress. I used an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to cut the openings. First time using one. The first cutout (power entry) was challenging, but came out okay. The second one (main panel) was much better. I had to use the grinding wheel to remove some of the box's knockouts. I also used a Dremel tool to fine tune the openings and remove the sharp edges. I think a die grinder (which I don't have) would have been better.

Overall, I'm pleased and now it's on to mounting all the components inside.

IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

More progress. I have everything mounted. I'm waiting on some heat shrink tubing to finalize the wiring, but I have enough wired to do some basic testing. I programmed the TI LaunchPad eval board as follows:
LEADSCREW_TPI = 16
STEPPER_MICROSTEPS = 3
STEPPER_RESOLUTION = 1000

I plan on using a 3:1 reduction on the motor pulleys hence the STEPPER_MICROSTEPS set to 3.

After powering up everything, I set the display to 16 TPI and turn the rotary encoder one time and expect to see 3 turns of the motor. I don't. So, I use the calibration cable from Automation Technologies along with their ESDSeries software and see that the motor is set to 4000 pulses/rev. I set it to 1000 and download it, but it doesn't seem to stay. I try using the save button and now I think it's sticking. There's a setting for the motor encoder that's set to 4000, but I don't think I need to change this since this is only internal the motor and drive, correct?

Anyways, I think I'm getting 3 turns of the motor for every turn of the rotary encoder.

Starting to think about mounting the rotary encoder and motor on the lathe and I'm still waiting for the pulleys and belt from China.

20200825_070649_edit.jpg

Nice work on the panel! I'm not sure about the stepper controller. I didn't have to mess with it, but it sounds like you have it working as needed. The real test is threading so you can compare to a pitch gauge. Waiting for the belts and pulleys can be annoying. Always takes longer than you want it to.

Panel is done except I might clean up the wiring a little bit more.

Onto the rotary encoder mounting hardware.

IMG_5604.jpg

I got my pulleys and I'm looking at options to put the keyway into the lead screw pulley. It's 3 mm wide. At first, I was thinking of using a 3 mm end mill and square off the corners with a file. However, the longest 3 mm end mill I could find is only about 1/2" and I need 1".

A broach would work, but I don't have one and I don't have an arbor press. I wouldn't mind getting an arbor press since I think it would be very useful. In the interim, can a broach be used with light taps from a hammer? Or, using a vise? The pulley is Aluminum.

Another option is using the lathe with a boring bar. I'm not sure I like this idea since it's only a mini-lathe and I'm not sure how successful this would be with flex and all.

IMG_5607.jpg

I've broached aluminum pulleys on my mini lathe, take small bites, it works fine.

I wouldn't try to hammer a broach. They are hardened and might break.

The pulley is aluminum and pretty easy to work. I used a small HSS bit in the lathe using the carriage as the press. You can get a little pack of HSS bits at Harbor Freight. They aren't great, but they are good enough for this if you don't have any little ones. I just used it directly, but it works better if you grind a little relief. There are a bunch of youtube videos showing how to do it.

There's always the small files as well.

Back