EM-56-P Chuck size

Sam54

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a Sheldon EM-56-P it currently has a 6“ 3 jaw chuck looking to add a 4 jaw wondering if what the largest size I could run.

Typically, with a body diameter about 3" to 4" less than the swing. Much larger than that and you are paying for capacity that you will never be able to use because the jaws will hit the bed when they get a little bit outside of the chuck body..

Typically, with a body diameter about 3" to 4" less than the swing. Much larger than that and you are paying for capacity that you will never be able to use because the jaws will hit the bed when they get a little bit outside of the chuck body..
I was thinking about that it is a 13“ swing was stuck between a 8” or a 10” 4 jaw thank you

Not many companies make a 13" lathe. It is sorta a bastard size. And unfortunately, even fewer will make a 9" diameter chuck. However, given the choice I would probably go for the 10" chuck assuming that I could afford it. And adopt a paranoid attitude about always slowly rotating the chuck and spindle by hand before engaging the motor.

Not many companies make a 13" lathe. It is sorta a bastard size. And unfortunately, even fewer will make a 9" diameter chuck. However, given the choice I would probably go for the 10" chuck assuming that I could afford it. And adopt a paranoid attitude about always slowly rotating the chuck and spindle by hand before engaging the motor.
Thank you looking into one now

Back