Embarrassed to ask, but haven't found an answer to this with pictures - carbide angles relative to workpiece

Thanks for your answers! It's quite helpful. I notice these inserts TCGT21.51 are for non ferrous materials like aluminum and brass.
1. Is there a way to buy a few as opposed to a 10 pack? Not sure I want to spend $50 just to see if they are marginally better than what I have.
2. What does one use for steel? I'm trying to machine a Crosman 1322 airgun barrel.

I get my inserts from Banggood or ebay, usually for around $10 a pack and they work fine for me. TCGT21.51 I think is TCGT110204 in metric, you might find more using that search term. The xxGT inserts work sooooo much better on smaller and lighter lathes, that's pretty much all I use unless I'm roughing out steel. Even then I'll use the xxGT inserts for the finishing cuts.

the xxGT inserts will work fine on steel, but they might not last as long. They do give a beautiful finish though.

If you want a better system, rather than throwing more money at what you have, I suggest looking into SCLCR holders, that use CCMT/ CCGT inserts. They can do turning and facing and boring all with the toolpost square to the work. Only 2 cutting tips vs. 3 for the TCMT/TCGT inserts, but a bit more versatile.

You can get turning facing and boring tools that hold a tc.. insert. I also use on facemill and flycutter. I get mine through eBay forget the sellers name but come from China under 10 bucks for a box of that size. They work great as said above on just about any material except hardened stuff.

@WobblyHand,

You started this thread title with "Embarrassed to ask, but.....".

Rest assured that you NEVER need to feel that way here!
If you are asking the question, then that means there is likely no easily accessible/understandable existing thread or tutorial on the subject.
You will NOT be flamed here, you will NOT be ridiculed here, our (amazing!) moderators will NOT stand for that.

I personally do not use a lot of carbide in my shop, but I learned some useful information from the responses.
Thanks for asking the question!

Ask what ever you want, no shame, no embarassment!
We are all here to learn.

-brino

by the way: what diameter is the workpiece and what rpm did you use? My understanding is that carbide likes it fast .

Seems like on a very small lathe using HSS would be better. It is easy to grind. If you don't get an ideal shape it will still work and you can simply refine the shape as you go. HSS can be easily ground to a fine edge so it will take very little force to start it cutting.

@brino, workpiece diameter is 0.438". Tried various RPMs, chattered a lot at higher RPMs, so I backed off. So probably < 1000. Nothing really seemed to work well, which is the reason for me starting the thread.

@Larry42 I've got some HSS blanks (actually cobalt) now, waiting for HSS to come in. Also have some keystock to practice on. The example tool bits have been sent, but have not been received. I was just trying to accomplish something with what was in house. Ordered a belt grinder. Ahem, what an expensive hobby...

@WobblyHand,

Welcome to the H-M.

A couple of things come to mind....

Regarding the angle of your cutter.....
One way to think about angles of your inserts or cutters in general, in relation to the surface you wish to cut, (especially with smaller and lower HP lathes), is the more surface of the cutter in contact with the material being cut, the more force that needs to be applied to cut. As the energy is being spread over a larger cutter area. In other words the Force per Area is lower. Think of 1 lbs force over 1in^2 =1psi That same 1 lbs force spread over a 1/10 in^2 = 10psi. So the smallest amount of the cutter in contact with the part being cut, will have the greatest cutting force (PSI), and will require less power to cut your part. Also smaller tip radiuses will cut better, though the finish will not be as nice.

In short turn your cutter so only the tip is in contact with the surface you wish to cut.

Same applies to the sharpness of the cutter. HSS bits are not a brittle as Carbide, and can take more abuse to a sharp edge as compared to carbide. Therefore, HSS often ground to quite sharp edges. Carbide brittleness is the reason most carbide inserts are not ground to a sharp edge from the MFG, as the sharp edge can chip more easily. But this also means Carbide inserts typically need quite a bit more pressure and a larger depth of cut to cut effectively, as compared HSS.

Stefan Gotteswinter is an impressive machinist who machines parts on smaller lower power equipment using carbide. He regrinds his carbide to sharper edges to work with lower power machines and to take finer cuts.

In addition to the angle of you cutter, another thing to check is.... whether the height of you cutter is correct. If it is above the center line of your lathe, the contact point will be below the cutting edge and it will not cut well. Of the two, being slight below the center line is better than above, though we all strive to be dead center.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Chatter near the suggested sfpm is usually caused by something loose in the set-up.
If feeding by cross-slide, lock down your compound-slide.
Also, try to minimize any slop in all your dovetail slides.

Ahem, what an expensive hobby...

You have no idea!

.........but seriously, there are so many ways to do any operation that you can likely find one to meet your budget.
just keep asking questions and searching for answers.
Some people here do amazing things with less than perfect conditions.

-brino

Last edited:
Some people here do amazing things with less than perfect conditions.
Totally agree! You can see it on this and other forums. What people have been able to accomplish using "non-optimal" methods is humbling and inspiring.

@DAT510 Thanks for the insight and video. Stefan has some pretty cool tools. My current capabilities are nowhere near his! That's a pretty neat diamond grinder. I'll use more of the point of the tool.
@brino Compound slide was locked down. I'll check and adjust the gibs. One of them was pretty stiff, the other was quite a bit looser. I'll tighten up the looser one.
@mattthemuppet2 Ordered some TCGT110204 inserts. What's another $10?

Back to the dungeon :D

Back