Emco Compact 8 dimension request

I had not seen your thread... You are amazing. And the folks that have taken the time to measure and share dimensions, wow! What a great feeling reading through this thread.

So you pretty much built a lathe!! And from hand written drawings share by other forum members... This is impressive in so many ways.

And here I was giving sh** on the broken knob, hahahahahahaha, I am so sorry for that. You all ROCK!!

As for me?

View attachment 379496
Thank you Kind Sir:<):<) I appreciate that very much!!:aok::clapping:

Latest up-date......while I'm still working on the idler pulley, (more on that later :rolleyes: ) I had some time to make a QDTP and 8 tool holders. 4 of them for cutting tools, 2 for a boring bar and/or a chuck, 1 part-off tool and still working on the knurl tool. Credit to Neil Wyatt for his handy notes he made available!:eagerness:
You're doing a great job on this lathe and I love the Aloris Type tool post you made.

Got it! They are on the way!!
Hi Steve,

Little update on the follower-rest: I made some dimensional adjustments to the 3D-model, which I’m guessing is due to building your own version of the Emco C8.

I made the follower-rest from a slab of mild steel that was lying around. I started out with a basic outline and used an angle grinder to cut it out. Then milled the surfaces to dimensions. I wasn't too critical here, since the only real important dimension of this part is where the 'fingers' of the follower rest meet, the centerline between chuck and centre.

First, I thought I’d do a fancy type of follower rest like the commercial produce with the arched body and mesh fingers, but I don’t have the CNC capability to neatly mill those radii. Then I settled for a straight type version with the mesh fingers, but decided to lose those details (mesh, etc), since I'll probably need this tool only a handful of times.

This project is relatively simply to the work you've been doing on your own lathe and the steady and follower rest you've made (which include the mesh parts). However, I wanted to share this with you and the rest because what I like about this design is that it is about as no-nonsense as it gets for a follower rest. Perhaps in this way the design options for making a follower-rest presented in this thread can help others in making one of their own based on prospected machining needs.

Thanks again for sharing your 3D-models and good luck with your project!

IMG_9300.JPGIMG_9303.JPGIMG_9307.JPGIMG_9314.JPGIMG_9323.JPGIMG_9330.JPGIMG_9341.JPGIMG_9342.JPGIMG_9346.JPG Here’s some pics. :)

Last edited:
Love it! Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it worked out for you:<) :encourage:

Hi Steve,

Little update on the follower-rest: I made some dimensional adjustments to the 3D-model, which I’m guessing is due to building your own version of the Emco C8.

I made the follower-rest from a slab of mild steel that was lying around. I started out with a basic outline and used an angle grinder to cut it out. Then milled the surfaces to dimensions. I wasn't too critical here, since the only real important dimension of this part is where the 'fingers' of the follower rest meet, the centerline between chuck and centre.

First, I thought I’d do a fancy type of follower rest like the commercial produce with the arched body and mesh fingers, but I don’t have the CNC capability to neatly mill those radii. Then I settled for a straight type version with the mesh fingers, but decided to lose those details (mesh, etc), since I'll probably need this tool only a handful of times.

This project is relatively simply to the work you've been doing on your own lathe and the steady and follower rest you've made (which include the mesh parts). However, I wanted to share this with you and the rest because what I like about this design is that it is about as no-nonsense as it gets for a follower rest. Perhaps in this way the design options for making a follower-rest presented in this thread can help others in making one of their own based on prospected machining needs.

Thanks again for sharing your 3D-models and good luck with your project!

View attachment 385050View attachment 385051View attachment 385052View attachment 385053View attachment 385054View attachment 385055View attachment 385056View attachment 385057View attachment 385058 Here’s some pics. :)
That's a nice no nonsense follow rest you made. I've seen the screws with bronze tips or roller bearings, but you're correct, it's not needed very often, but when you need it, it helps get the Job Done.

Hello all, I have another question if I may ;) those of you that have the 30 tooth and the 25 tooth drive gears, could you please measure the OD of both before I go down the wrong path:<)

Thanks!!

Where is that located and do I have one in my Chinese lathe that I can measure to help you?

Or is this specific to your Emco model?

Thanks, worth a try! It's in the stack in the pic, second from the bottom inside and the forth one up outside( that one is a 60T, but same location). Not sure if yours is put together that way but it's more about the diameter differences from 30T to 25T , I have a clearance issue ;)

Edited to add that I have the 30T and it has a 1.257" dia. and a 1.09" minor so looking see if the 25T major is less than 1.09"

Attachments

• BanjoBarC8_resized.jpg
    BanjoBarC8_resized.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 8
Looks like my setup is different... sorry...

IMG_3528.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

Thanks for trying Jaime! Actually it doesn't look that far off in concept, yours still has a banjo bar too:<) Man ,I sure wished I had a gear box like that!!!

Back