Emco Compact 8 dimension request

Every time this thread pops back to the top I'm reminded of a find in my late father in laws stash; A new in Box Sparco Compact under dash 8-track player. Still got K-Mart price sticker on it. But I don't think those dimensions would be of much use here.

I'm working on the tail stock and thinking about the drive train at the same time, pics of the tail stock progress on Monday:<)
I do have another basic dimension request if I could please....I'm looking for the diameter's of the belt driven clutch, the diameters of the 3 pulley steps in front of the clutch and the belt width. (Pic of the area attached)
None of these were included when I bought it, but I did get a 1/2 HP motor and a forward -reverse switch!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Clutch-Gear-Belt.JPG
    Clutch-Gear-Belt.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 27
Haven't been on the site in a while, just seeing this thread...

For the V belt diameters, I get approximately 1.421, 2.527 and 3.667 inches. This is the diameter of the outer flat at each V. Raising the caution flag for use of non-calibrated tools. A second opinion might help.

For the outer toothed belt sprocket, I get approximately 3.797 inches outside diameter. Width of the flat belt engagement area is a little tough to gage, as there's a flat on the side of the v-belt, and what appears to be a direct transition to the chamfer of the belt tooth edge. I'm getting overall tooth width of somewhere between 0.77 and 0.80 inch.

I've had my Compact 8 in pieces for about a year as numerous life events keep getting priority. I was reluctant to disassemble that clutch, as I had no idea of the proper lubrication for re-assembly. If you happen to figure it out, please share.

TomKro

Thank you TomKro!!! Excellent information!! Way close enough for me :encourage: Awesome!!!

Cheers!!! I'd be happy to share about the clutch but it looks like I won't have one if I make this. I would think being a clutch that it would not be much, short of a light grease?

Last edited:
Glad I could help. Another member provided guidance on cleaning up the clutch. You are correct, light grease.

BTW, I forgot to gage the width of each pulley step. The middle step was easy to measure, it came out to about 0.265 inch wide, which includes the v-groove and two flats.

Embarrassed to ask but one more dimension please:<) The diameter of the toothed driving cog on the motor, I need that to calculate the rest of the RPM's:<)

Pica added of the drive cog....

THANK YOU!!!!

Attachments

• Motor_Drive Pulley.png
    Motor_Drive Pulley.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
Looks like 18 tooth, with OD of teeth at about 1.120 inch.

Sort of interesting that the v-belt grooves on the other side of that part do not appear to be centered on each shoulder. Not sure why, as I took it apart ages ago. I can send a pic later today if you need one. That sure is one complex little part.

If you're cutting your own, best to leave an inch or so on one end to set into the triple v-groove section on the far side.

TomKro

Got the Tailstock base with a cam-lock finished, moving on the upstairs part of it next!

Attachments

• Resized_20210318_103748.jpeg
    Resized_20210318_103748.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 18
Looks like 18 tooth, with OD of teeth at about 1.120 inch.

Sort of interesting that the v-belt grooves on the other side of that part do not appear to be centered on each shoulder. Not sure why, as I took it apart ages ago. I can send a pic later today if you need one. That sure is one complex little part.

If you're cutting your own, best to leave an inch or so on one end to set into the triple v-groove section on the far side.

TomKro
Thank you very much again TomKro! You are a lifesaver!! I may use those values and make it a V-Belt , still on the fence with that one ;) At least with your numbers I can begin calculating speeds as I think the stock motor was a 1325 RPM and I have a 1725 RPM and would really like to be able to hit 100 RPM should I need it!
Yes, leaving lots of stock for the other 3 pulleys for sure! I have sitting right here next to me:<)

Many Thanks!!!!!!

Back